Confused Matthew Has Retired

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
clearspira
Overlord

Confused Matthew Has Retired

Post by clearspira »

Those of you who have been here since SFDebris Version 1.1 will know that the Youtuber Confused Matthew played an interesting role in the early days of the site, not really involved creatively but still greatly linked such as allowing us (as in, fans of Chuck) to use his forum as well as making a couple of joint reviews with Chuck including a phone conversation about Star Trek 2009 which I still remember well.

Anyway, he has posted a retirement video that I thought some of you would be interested in where he goes into his problems with self-harm, long-term illness, drugs, the problems with fame and depression. It is quite emotional in my opinion. He also reveals his actual name if that matters to anyone (I don't know if the thumbnail is a face reveal, it may or may not be).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQxGvRzpKQ
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Confused Matthew Has Retired

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

He was where it all started for me.

He was always very nice when responding to my messages. Said I seemed like a cool dude. Always meant a lot to me.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:51 pm He was where it all started for me.

He was always very nice when responding to my messages. Said I seemed like a cool dude. Always meant a lot to me.
I know what you mean. It is really hard to explain nowadays just how barren and amateur Youtube was back then. You were so lucky to find quality, and I remember clearly that I only had four people I subbed to in the wild west days: Matthew, Spoony, AVGN and SFDebris. The rest of the time I was on sites such as the Agony Booth (don't know if that still exists) and later Channel Awesome (which in my opinion was helped greatly by the fact that Youtube was so crap).
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Fun fact, poparena and one of his friends got together to "prove what a dumb-dumb" Confused Matthew was on his 2001 review.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I never liked the guy, but man, it sucks he had it so rough. Hope he does okay.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

i enjoyed earlier Matthew more than late Matthew.

Best of luck for him.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:24 am Fun fact, poparena and one of his friends got together to "prove what a dumb-dumb" Confused Matthew was on his 2001 review.
Yeah, his 2001 review didn't really leave a good impression for me.

I remember someone else did a pretty good rebuttal video years back, who sadly passed away sometime later.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Poparena is going literally some days without eating now. I feel a sense of immense vindication. Getting his comeuppance for kicking me out of his community. I gave to his web show more than most of his fans did, and... meh. He wants to struggle financially while kicking out the person who bled the most for his content, then let him.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I kind of had a feeling. I'd watched his stuff pretty regularly back in the day, and as they started to get less frequent and he seemed to get more and more stressed out.
Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 pm Yeah, his 2001 review didn't really leave a good impression for me.

I remember someone else did a pretty good rebuttal video years back, who sadly passed away sometime later.
Is the video still up somewhere?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Found it.

youtu.be/7WvrQ6h_GWE

Crazy to think it’s a few months away from a decade.