Should old SciFi be judged by today's standards?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Should old SciFi be judged by today's standards?

Post by Yukaphile »

TOS at the time proved they could do better was my point.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

However, I will concede the London Underground set was pretty sweet. That's why I said they hold up "most of the time." I don't know what the Underground looks like, never been there, but I know what our subways look like. So it seemed realistic.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 pm TOS at the time proved they could do better was my point.
I'd have to look it up to be certain but I imagine TOS had a significantly bigger budget.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... that might make all the difference then, sadly...
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

If you really want the BBC doing science fiction on a low budget though put Doctor Who aside and look at Blake's 7.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:36 am If you really want the BBC doing science fiction on a low budget though put Doctor Who aside and look at Blake's 7.
Hands down one off the best shows of all time. Yeah it was a bit cheesy at times, but Avon is in my top ten favourite characters in sci fi and deserves it.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

If you're not judging video, and actually sci-fi books, then some of the older stuff dates really badly. Anything that had aliens invading from Mars for instance, is a product of its time pure and simple.

Doesn't mean War of The Worlds isn't interesting though!
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Sure you can get all wrapped up in ''old stuff looks bad" because you ''don't like it". Ok, that's fine.

But, I'd still point out that Modern Sci Fi is not always go great. Sure like Avengers: Endgame has the best effects of all time. Of course pick a lot of other sci fi movies from the past 20 years or so....and, well, all the effects are not so great.

Sure 1960 it was some plywood, well in 2010 it was a idiot with a computer making a scribble of about the art level of a three year old.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Zargon wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 am Sure you can get all wrapped up in ''old stuff looks bad" because you ''don't like it". Ok, that's fine.

But, I'd still point out that Modern Sci Fi is not always go great. Sure like Avengers: Endgame has the best effects of all time. Of course pick a lot of other sci fi movies from the past 20 years or so....and, well, all the effects are not so great.

Sure 1960 it was some plywood, well in 2010 it was a idiot with a computer making a scribble of about the art level of a three year old.
What percentage of the audience even knows what good costly CGI is?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Zargon wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:42 pm So like I said....Hollywood, and really society, have not changed all that much from the ''old" times. Really, things are just as ''bad'' as they ever were.

Sure a couple movies and a couple TV shows ''try" to show a bit more ''better" social view point.....but they are really more the exceptions.

Most of the women, and non white folk in general, STILL take a back seat in the vast majority of movies. There might be no ''Miss Pennyworth, go make us some coffie, we men must make a plan to save the world" in modern movies.....but really all you get is women and other non white folks are ''just there".
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR