Pacific Rim Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Pacific Rim Review

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

[url]http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/pacificrim.php[/url]

Love this movie, one hell of a fun time. Shame about the sequel.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Pacific Rim Review

Post by CrypticMirror »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:55 pm [url]http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/pacificrim.php[/url]

Love this movie, one hell of a fun time. Shame about the sequel.
Yeah, the sequel sucked. I'm guessing someone had an origin story for something/military academy script sitting around and bootstrapped the Pacific Rim name to it. It clearly resented having to be a giant robot movie.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:20 pm
Yeah, the sequel sucked. I'm guessing someone had an origin story for something/military academy script sitting around and bootstrapped the Pacific Rim name to it. It clearly resented having to be a giant robot movie.
I think they had concepts for a sequel (Like Newt turning evil) or maybe a first draft ready but because Del Toro was busy with other projects (a lot of them never going anywhere) it basically got hijacked by John Boyega who turned into his vanity project.

I mean, Boyega is Stacker Pentecost's unmentioned son, Raleigh vanishing from existence, killing off Mako in such a disappointing way, dumbing down the action, impossibly intelligent teenager building a giant robot by herself... It's kind of like the avatar of unnecessary, bad sequels.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I also really love this movie. Pacific Rim is one movie that was almost made for me as I am huge fan of both giant robots and giant monsters. It's shame really that sequel was so bad because as good movie Pacific Rim would had deserved to have good sequel worthy of it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Jedi Commisar
Redshirt

Post by Jedi Commisar »

So I take I was not the only one squeed when Pacific Rim popped up on the review quee
Valikdu
Redshirt

Post by Valikdu »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:20 pm Yeah, the sequel sucked. I'm guessing someone had an origin story for something/military academy script sitting around and bootstrapped the Pacific Rim name to it.
...I don't see how the second script sucked, but the first didn't. I mean, both scripts are piles of plot points and features ripped off from anime and visual novels.

PR1 has multipe of those straight out of Muv-Luv; important ones, too.
Trooper924
Redshirt

Post by Trooper924 »

I admit, I was very underwhelmed by Pacific Rim. Chuck described the characters as "broad strokes", but unlike him, I didn't feel like they were "alive". They mostly felt like wet cardboard cutouts spouting off lines that were trying too hard to be cool. Outside of Mako, I couldn't tell you what any of their names were without having to look it up

The action scenes were neat, but the whole movie has this weird tone were it somehow manages to be drab and cartoony at the same time, and I found that to be really off-putting. Plus, I thought the Jaeger and kaiju designs were boring (and the ones I did like--Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon--were the ones with the least amount of screentime).

Not that I think it's a bad movie. Just that I don't think it lived up to the hype other people built up around it.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Trooper924 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:06 pm I admit, I was very underwhelmed by Pacific Rim. Chuck described the characters as "broad strokes", but unlike him, I didn't feel like they were "alive". They mostly felt like wet cardboard cutouts spouting off lines that were trying too hard to be cool. Outside of Mako, I couldn't tell you what any of their names were without having to look it up

The action scenes were neat, but the whole movie has this weird tone were it somehow manages to be drab and cartoony at the same time, and I found that to be really off-putting. Plus, I thought the Jaeger and kaiju designs were boring (and the ones I did like--Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon--were the ones with the least amount of screentime).

Not that I think it's a bad movie. Just that I don't think it lived up to the hype other people built up around it.
I can see why you would think that. After all while I love Pacific Rim I admit that it has it's flaws that you mentioned. How ever to me it being well made movie that's enjoyable to watch about giant robots fighting giant monsters allows me to overlook those flaws and just enjoy watching it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

No "Chicks dig giant robots" clip? :( I am sad now. There will never be a better time in all of ever.

I didn't see the movie, but it sounds like it's enjoyable in a summer action blockbustery kind of way and even beyond. I'll probably watch it thanks to the review.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

When I was browsing the internet around the time Pacific Rim came out, it seemed to me like people's opinions were split between "just another mindless BayFormers type movie" and "Teh most awesome movie evar!" My opinion was just "It's a pretty fun movie, I liked the part where they used a boat as a bat" and that's about it.

There is one thing I will nag on though: when Gipsy Danger brought out the sword on the flying kaiju, my thought was "Why the hell didn't you use that sooner?" I've heard people explain it as "Oh, they needed to 'soften up' the kaiju first". But to me that sounds like getting in a fist fight with some street thugs, and deciding "Hmm, I could pull out the gun I have in my back pocket, but I think I'll punch them to soften them up first". Partly because of that, and partly because nothing could top the Hong Kong fight scenes, the ending seemed kind of weak to me.

Also, one more thing: Chuck talks about how the kaiju being genetically identical means that they were shaped by their creators instead of grown that way . . . but it could just be like the "dinosaurs have two brains!" thing where they made a science goof. It happens.