Pacific Rim Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Pacific Rim Review

Post by RobbyB1982 »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:21 pm There is one thing I will nag on though: when Gipsy Danger brought out the sword on the flying kaiju, my thought was "Why the hell didn't you use that sooner?" I've heard people explain it as "Oh, they needed to 'soften up' the kaiju first".
Because its the giant robot rule that you don't pull out the sword until you're ready to end the fight. See basically any Voltron or Power Ranger episode. Gundam deviates from that a little because both sides tend to have swords, but be assured if the Gundam has a specialty weapon, that'll be the dramatic finisher instead of the opener.

If you pulled out the sword as a first result, it wouldn't work. It would break or the enemy would be immune or something. Just how it is.

See also, transformation sequences must always be allowed to finish.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Jedi Commisar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:10 pm So I take I was not the only one squeed when Pacific Rim popped up on the review quee
I'm extatic. The movie is simple, but brilliant, hitting all the good chords in the right order. Simple, clear-cut but not-entirely flat characters, beautiful cinematography, an absolutely perfect soundtrack, no plot-confusion, a clear beginning and a clear end, semi-serious, semi-funny. Just flat out perfect entertainment and they put a hell of a lot of effort into the details about the Jaeger-sequences.
TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:21 pm When I was browsing the internet around the time Pacific Rim came out, it seemed to me like people's opinions were split between "just another mindless BayFormers type movie" and "Teh most awesome movie evar!" My opinion was just "It's a pretty fun movie, I liked the part where they used a boat as a bat" and that's about it.
Get it and watch it. It's fun. Just listen to the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso]theme of the movie[/url], it will easily take you proverbially out of your seat and marche you into the mood with a pretty relaxed and cool step.

To whoever submitted this review: THANK YOU!

Now, I'll watch the review and see if Charles thinks different.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 pmNow, I'll watch the review and see if Charles thinks different.
Nope, he doesn't, I am not surprised at all. This movie needed much more praise than it recieved back when it was released, but it was just dumped into the Bayformer's bin for all the wrong reasons. I still vividly remember the experience in the cinema and it's one of those movies, that I'd always buy a ticket for, if it would rerun.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yeah, comparing Pacific Rim to Bayformers was disservice to it. Other than both having giant robots those aren't really alike. Plus Pacific Rim is actually good movie unlike Bayformers.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I thought the Honest Trailers video summarized it pretty well: "Either the dumbest awesome movie or the most awesome dumb movie."

I incidentally think it has one of the best theme tunes in recent years. Always gets the blood pumping.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

A fun movie for what it what it was trying to be. That is, you will like this movie if this is the sort of movie genre you like. Though it does come at the kaiju genre through its anime iteration like Evangelion and its like, with less psychological trauma rather than directly from Godzilla.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Dae tone
Redshirt

Post by Dae tone »

I am somewhat disappointed by this review. Let me preface this with the statement, Chuck has provided me with hundreds if not thousands of hours of entertainment through his reviews, all without requiring I pay him anything, and for that I am thankful to him.

However in my opinion, despite the length of the review, there wasn't all that much said. It felt almost like a paint by numbers play by play of the film. This is the most generic Chuck has ever felt to me. I'd rather not write a wall of text trying to make my argument but just state a few stray observations.

The background information video was good, I had heard most of it before but I enjoyed the information and the method of laying out Del Torro's process of getting this and other films made.

At the start of the review proper, I immediately thought Chuck was going to discuss something about external material to a film, a la Star Trek 2009 Nero motivation, but we move right along. The 'intermissions' are usually my favorite parts of a film review, however the glados trailer either fell flat for me or flew over my head. I really expected a classic Chuck 'pull the rug out from under you' style joke with the Idris Elba speech, but the joke is just the idea Bill Pullman gets a check. Finally, the end analysis felt shockingly light to me.

Now maybe this is just a movie Chuck didn't have all that strong of feelings for, but he usually finds something that gets me thinking, or links the media to something else he has reviewed and contrasts, I figured evangeleon would get brought up, which I have only seen through Chuck's reviews but some of the attacking things are quite memorable, as are Chuck's jokes about them.

Maybe I'm just being picky, didn't understand some jokes, or was in the wrong mindset when watching this review the first time. I figured I would share my opinion to see if anyone else who watched the review had similar feelings.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

It was interesting to hear about Del Toro's struggles leading up to this film, and it's certainly interesting to see what a production that really has all the stops pulled out can achieve.

Having seen it at the time and gone "meh" like so many others, it merits returning and paying homage to the spectacle, and the genre that it in turn is paying respects to.

Pacific Rim isn't off-the-charts amazing, but it has way, way more merit than all the superficially similar giant robot movies that were floating around back then. Way better at being "Independence Day" than "Resurgence", too.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Valikdu wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:42 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:20 pm Yeah, the sequel sucked. I'm guessing someone had an origin story for something/military academy script sitting around and bootstrapped the Pacific Rim name to it.
...I don't see how the second script sucked, but the first didn't. I mean, both scripts are piles of plot points and features ripped off from anime and visual novels.
The difference, as Marie Antoinette once said, is the execution.

Pacific Rim picked well and executed well, PR2 was very poor in its choices and execution.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

You do have to wonder why they didn't just station the Jaegers at the breach and take them out anytime they came through, rather than waiting for them to wreck a city first. But then, these are the same nutjobs who built a wall so that the jaegers could have the world's largest swimming pool to play in.