What in the Hell is This? - [HBO's Watchmen]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: What in the Hell is This? - [HBO's Watchmen]

Post by J!! »

you must be fun at parties
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

J!! wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:28 am you must be fun at parties
I wouldn't know. The social scene in my town has been dead for years. And I'm too broke to drink.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Considering that HBO was also had GoT I would say that this fits to they channel and is right up they alley.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well now I'm just more confused.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

I pulled this from TV Tropes: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Watchmen2019
TV Tropes wrote: The series takes place in an alternative, contemporary reality in the USA, in which masked vigilantes became outlawed due to their violent methods. Despite this, some gather around to start a revolution while others are out to stop it before it is too late, the doomsday clock continues to tick, and a greater question rises above them all... "Who watches the Watchmen?"
So, Distant Sequel? A 'What If?'/Elseworlds tale?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Sounds pretty much in keeping with the motif that the original Watchmen took up. The bunch of Rorschachs reminds me of the anonymous guys dawning Guy Hawkes masks. If so that seems like it would be a nice art imitating life imitating art deal, nicely circling back around from a DC property that's albeit had a history of being distinct from the DCU. Though I haven't heard anything about Anonymous in like 3-4 years. So the image isn't exactly topical but nonetheless is evocative.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

It looks like any old random superhero series they just decided to call Watchmen to help it sell. It bares shockingly little resemblance to its supposed namesake.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

From the quote it just seems like a modernized adaptation into a series. Rather transformative, sure, but not too different in approach from other adaptations. It is more the case that Watchmen as a singularized graphic novel is more noticeable with core story element changes.
..What mirror universe?
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

All I know is that it's something else that Alan Moore will be ignoring considering that, like most adaptations of his work, it will either water down or ignore the themes of his work.