What in the Hell is This? - [HBO's Watchmen]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: What in the Hell is This? - [HBO's Watchmen]

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Elderdog wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 pm All I know is that it's something else that Alan Moore will be ignoring considering that, like most adaptations of his work, it will either water down or ignore the themes of his work.
Do you think the movie was really that bad?
..What mirror universe?
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

As someone who loved the original book and actually LIKED the movie (even if it wasn’t as good as the book) this... this looks lame. I’ll give it this though, the choice for trailer music was nice.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Nobody700 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm As someone who loved the original book and actually LIKED the movie (even if it wasn’t as good as the book) this... this looks lame. I’ll give it this though, the choice for trailer music was nice.
I mean, it has people living on Mars AND cops beating people up. There was no better song for this story.
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:58 pm
Elderdog wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 pm All I know is that it's something else that Alan Moore will be ignoring considering that, like most adaptations of his work, it will either water down or ignore the themes of his work.
Do you think the movie was really that bad?
Not really, it's just that I believe a lot of adaptations of Alan Moore comics tend to ignore the themes of his work and Alan Moore believes something similar considering that he hasn't seen an adaptation of his work since The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I personally have no interest in watching the show because it feels like it's trying to provide an answer to what happened after the events of the graphic novel and I quite frankly don't think that is a good idea considering that we as the reader were meant to come up with our own conclusion to the story.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Alan Moore has never liked adaptions of his own work. Personally I found Watchmen movie to be good (for being Zack Snyder movie) but then again I have never read graphic novel that it's based on so I only know what changes were made based on reviews like Lost in Adaption about it from Dominic Noble (formerly known as The Dom) were he went to detail about differences between two.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

I recommend reading the graphic novel because Snyder doesn't really understand certain aspects of the book's message and the book also knows how color works.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 pm Alan Moore has never liked adaptions of his own work. Personally I found Watchmen movie to be good (for being Zack Snyder movie) but then again I have never read graphic novel that it's based on so I only know what changes were made based on reviews like Lost in Adaption about it from Dominic Noble (formerly known as The Dom) were he went to detail about differences between two.
He DID like that one episode of Justice League based on one of his Superman arcs 'For the Man Who Has Everything'. He even let them credit him, for once.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

https://news.avclub.com/alan-moore-not-thrilled-about-hbos-watchmen-damon-li-1836705768

HBO Watchmen showrunner says "fuck you I'm doing it anyway"

Certainly one way to go about things.
ProfessorDetective wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:11 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 pm Alan Moore has never liked adaptions of his own work. Personally I found Watchmen movie to be good (for being Zack Snyder movie) but then again I have never read graphic novel that it's based on so I only know what changes were made based on reviews like Lost in Adaption about it from Dominic Noble (formerly known as The Dom) were he went to detail about differences between two.
He DID like that one episode of Justice League based on one of his Superman arcs 'For the Man Who Has Everything'. He even let them credit him, for once.
Probably a matter of it being made specifically for kids.
..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:11 pm
Well it is very good episode so there is that. One of my personal favorites from that series.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

It was aight.
..What mirror universe?