What in the Hell is This? - [HBO's Watchmen]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: What in the Hell is This? - [HBO's Watchmen]

Post by J!! »

I think Snyder did about as good a job as anyone could ask for, given the difficulty of the source material.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:32 pm https://news.avclub.com/alan-moore-not-thrilled-about-hbos-watchmen-damon-li-1836705768
If we waited for Alan Moore to like something, we'd never get anything done. The man wrote a lot of interesting stuff, but he is also Grade-A crazy-toots. I don't blame Damon for moving ahead anyways.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

As crazy as he is I still take Alan Moore over post-Sin City Frank Miller who wrote abominations like The Dark Knight Strikes Again, All-Star Batman and Robin, Batman/Spawn and worst of all Holy Terror thank you very much.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

I don't think too many people would put Miller over Moore in a write-off.

I actually like Miller fine, but the problem is that if you've read one Frank Miller comic book, you've pretty much read them all. The man knows what he likes - and what he likes is sexy women wearing very little, heavy shading and ludicrous levels of gibs. There's nothing wrong with any of that...but we can't all stay 14 forever.

Moore's range is considerably larger, which is both a plus and minus. He's written some fantastic stuff...he's also written some really weird stuff....remember Lost Girls? There's nothing about being nuts that keeps you from being a great artist...heck, if you're the right kind of nuts, it probably helps.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:32 pm https://news.avclub.com/alan-moore-not-thrilled-about-hbos-watchmen-damon-li-1836705768
Oh, geez, Lindelof is running this? Well, that seals it. The show will be a complete mess that despises its audience for thinking about the questions it raises. That's the complete opposite of what anything connected to Watchmen should be.

LittleRaven wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:43 pm Moore's range is considerably larger, which is both a plus and minus. He's written some fantastic stuff...he's also written some really weird stuff....remember Lost Girls? There's nothing about being nuts that keeps you from being a great artist...heck, if you're the right kind of nuts, it probably helps.
Yeah, Lost Girls had potential in the premise, but instead it was just boring and uninteresting. It's not even gratuitous (which I'm sure some expected) or at least though-provoking. It does nothing and goes nowhere. The weird elements are all it has going for it, and IMO that simply wasn't enough.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

So am I the only one watching this?

It's pretty well done so far. The acting is top notch, the production values are fantastic, the stunt work is great, and the mystery is appealing. Lots of callbacks that will be meaningful if you're a fan of the original but it's not required.

The only question is whether or not they can stick the landing.