Kate Mulgrew calls Gene Roddenberry a misogynist

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: Kate Mulgrew calls Gene Roddenberry a misogynist

Post by CmdrKing »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:43 pm I seriously doubt he was the one putting women in those roles. And if he was, it was for the wrong reasons, to leer at them rather than seeing them as anything but a piece of flesh.
The clearest example of his contradictory nature is the original pilot.
That Number One was a woman was important to him, and he fought (but lost) on the issue.
But also she was played by Marjel Barret, also known as his wife.

Roddenberry is like most men who fancy themselves enlightened for their time: his ideals did lead to some good outcomes and motivate him to do things that contributed to better outcomes in history.
He also routinely, indeed more often than not, lacked the courage of his convictions and fell prey to some form or another of the vices any wealthy and influential man may acquire.

There’s Little value in deifying or demonizing a dead man. Instead, understand his role in history with all its complexity, and learn from both his vices and virtues. See the patterns such men follow, and spot where others in similar positions might make similar mistakes. And of course where better decisions could cause them to have even greater impact.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Poor Gene, he outlive the era of free love in the 60's and never could have predicted the rise of sex negative feminists.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

CmdrKing wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 pm There’s Little value in deifying or demonizing a dead man. Instead, understand his role in history with all its complexity, and learn from both his vices and virtues. See the patterns such men follow, and spot where others in similar positions might make similar mistakes. And of course where better decisions could cause them to have even greater impact.
How else are you supposed to earn woke points in current year?
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

CmdrKing wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:43 pm I seriously doubt he was the one putting women in those roles. And if he was, it was for the wrong reasons, to leer at them rather than seeing them as anything but a piece of flesh.
That Number One was a woman was important to him, and he fought (but lost) on the issue.
Well, Majel Barrett eventualy became his wife, but at the time, she was his mistress. That was a major issue with NBC. Plus, women viewers at the screening test hated the character (sometimes, women are their worst enemies). In the end, Roddenberry had the choice to keep either Number One or Spock (which was also hated by NBC for his "devilish" looks). He chose Spock.
Roddenberry is like most men who fancy themselves enlightened for their time: his ideals did lead to some good outcomes and motivate him to do things that contributed to better outcomes in history.
He also routinely, indeed more often than not, lacked the courage of his convictions and fell prey to some form or another of the vices any wealthy and influential man may acquire.

There’s Little value in deifying or demonizing a dead man. Instead, understand his role in history with all its complexity, and learn from both his vices and virtues. See the patterns such men follow, and spot where others in similar positions might make similar mistakes. And of course where better decisions could cause them to have even greater impact.
I agree. Abraham Lincoln may have abolished slavery, he would still be viewed as a racist by today's standards. He remains a great man nevertheless, and I am against that iconoclastic view of history that some "progressive" moralists have today.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Ah yes that unaired pilot that also had Pike as captain instead of Kirk. It's interesting to think what might had happened if they had went with Marjel Barret instead of Leonard Nimoy but of course it would be speculation so we would never know for sure what that version of TOS and rest of ST would had looked like.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Then I forgot who it was on the forum that pointed out that they were originally gonna where pants like the male officers.
..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

To be honest it would had made sense considering that Starfleet is supposed to be military fleet with uniforms that just happens to have heavy focus on exploration. It's not like Roddenberry was hiding that during TOS like he later did with TNG.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:04 am To be honest it would had made sense considering that Starfleet is supposed to be military fleet with uniforms that just happens to have heavy focus on exploration. It's not like Roddenberry was hiding that during TOS like he later did with TNG.
It's a speculated topic, but actually TOS was supposed to be non-military.
..What mirror universe?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:04 am To be honest it would had made sense considering that Starfleet is supposed to be military fleet with uniforms that just happens to have heavy focus on exploration. It's not like Roddenberry was hiding that during TOS like he later did with TNG.
Source?

Carte to elaborate?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:31 pm
Ah yes that unaired pilot that also had Pike as captain instead of Kirk. It's interesting to think what might had happened if they had went with Marjel Barret instead of Leonard Nimoy but of course it would be speculation so we would never know for sure what that version of TOS and rest of ST would had looked like.
The reason he fought for Number One was not because he wanted a woman on the bridge, its because he was banging Majel Barret. This is not proof at all of his equality credentials.