Boris Johnson is the new British Prime Minister

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Boris Johnson is the new British Prime Minister

Post by Riedquat »

Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:52 pm
Riedquat wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:40 am
I mean if you think that crippling the UK is worth it for the principle of it, more power to you. Though I can't say I know what that principle is as the UK is going to come out of this with less sovereignty that before as it will be subject to the regulations of the EU, and over a barrel when making other trade agreements, while having no say in either.
This absurd, completely over-the-top "we're all doomed without the EU to look after us!" rhetoric is one of the main reasons so many people have had it up to here with its supporters.
Doomed? Probably not. In a significantly worse position that you started? Yes. Your current trade agreements were negotiated with the full weight of the EU behind them, you will be in a significantly weaker position by default when making any new agreements. And that's assuming a deal is reached, because otherwise you will be over a barrel due to not producing enough food to feed yourselves and not producing key medicines, like insulin, domestically.
The problem is that you're painting highly unlikely worse-case scenarios there as something to be genuinely worried about - an approach that'll always lead you sticking with the status quo out of fear. So no, I don't think a significantly worse position is all that likely. It simply isn't in anyone's interests. The chance of no trade whatsoever even without a deal is zero.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Riedquat wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:05 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:52 pm
Riedquat wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:40 am
I mean if you think that crippling the UK is worth it for the principle of it, more power to you. Though I can't say I know what that principle is as the UK is going to come out of this with less sovereignty that before as it will be subject to the regulations of the EU, and over a barrel when making other trade agreements, while having no say in either.
This absurd, completely over-the-top "we're all doomed without the EU to look after us!" rhetoric is one of the main reasons so many people have had it up to here with its supporters.
Doomed? Probably not. In a significantly worse position that you started? Yes. Your current trade agreements were negotiated with the full weight of the EU behind them, you will be in a significantly weaker position by default when making any new agreements. And that's assuming a deal is reached, because otherwise you will be over a barrel due to not producing enough food to feed yourselves and not producing key medicines, like insulin, domestically.
The problem is that you're painting highly unlikely worse-case scenarios there as something to be genuinely worried about - an approach that'll always lead you sticking with the status quo out of fear. So no, I don't think a significantly worse position is all that likely. It simply isn't in anyone's interests. The chance of no trade whatsoever even without a deal is zero.
It's in no one's best interest, but the best possible compromise has already been rejected, and DUP redlines make anything else other than no deal or withdraw Article 50 impossible without a general election.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Jonathan101 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm Nigel Farage is the British Donald Trump (minus the billions of dollars).
Why? He is nothing like him.
Trump would not have the discipline to to stick with his project as an EP rep.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 am
Jonathan101 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm Nigel Farage is the British Donald Trump (minus the billions of dollars).
Well, neither man really matches Trump, but Farage is closer to Trump than Johnson, since Johnson has a genuine intellectual side and got to Eton and Oxford on scholarships, while Trump got to an Ivy League university through having a rich dad and gaming the system, and still got called the dumbest student by one of his teachers.

Farage also has more of a business background like Trump as he is a former stockbroker, while Johnson comes from journalism, and Farage once described himself as "quite ballsy, probably good on a platform, unafraid of the limelight, a bit noisy and good at selling things", which is a pretty solid description of Trump.

I wouldn't associate the word "discipline" with any of these three guys, and I definitely don't agree that Farage is "nothing like" Trump.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 am
Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 am
Well, neither man really matches Trump, but Farage is closer to Trump than Johnson, since Johnson has a genuine intellectual side and got to Eton and Oxford on scholarships, while Trump got to an Ivy League university through having a rich dad and gaming the system, and still got called the dumbest student by one of his teachers.

Farage also has more of a business background like Trump as he is a former stockbroker, while Johnson comes from journalism, and Farage once described himself as "quite ballsy, probably good on a platform, unafraid of the limelight, a bit noisy and good at selling things", which is a pretty solid description of Trump.

I wouldn't associate the word "discipline" with any of these three guys, and I definitely don't agree that Farage is "nothing like" Trump.
Tump can only sell himself, his brand and went bankrupt multiple times. Unless it's his own branding Trump is not good at most business transactions.

There is a difference between Trump flirting with presidency every 4 years and Farage being an MEP for long years going from a joke to Mr. Brexit.

but Farage is closer to Trump than Johnson, since Johnson has a genuine intellectual side and got to Eton and Oxford on scholarships

How do you know if he cared about what he had to learn?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Noone said they are one and the same. Geez.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:01 pm Noone said they are one and the same. Geez.
I was not arguing against that position.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am
but Farage is closer to Trump than Johnson, since Johnson has a genuine intellectual side and got to Eton and Oxford on scholarships

How do you know if he cared about what he had to learn?
If he didn't care he wouldn't have gotten his scholarships or attained a 2:1 (whereas Trump barely scraped by and doesn't want his grades to be public at all). He also wouldn't enjoy throwing in Latin phrases or Classical references in private, or writing historical non-fiction (of varying quality but still); he's got a side to him that's an intellectual show-off.

Basically, he's like Trump in the sense that he often seems to enjoy cutting corners and doing his hobbies than sticking out the serious administration of running a city or a country, but he's unlike Trump in that his particular hobbies and interests are less golf and sales and more word play and history. Almost as lazy, but not as dim.

Boris is more like a nerdier George W. Bush.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Funny thing is I am pretty sure that whole comparing Boris Johnson to Trump started just because they look little similar.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:42 pm Funny thing is I am pretty sure that whole comparing Boris Johnson to Trump started just because they look little similar.
That and the uncanny ability of both to promise the sky only to crash to ground hard, but still somehow come out not just surviving, but somehow being on top.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox