Boris Johnson is the new British Prime Minister

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Boris Johnson is the new British Prime Minister

Post by Madner Kami »

Great opinion piece about Johnson, highlighting the limits of comparing Trump and Johnson and why Johnson is very different but dangerous no less:

youtu.be/dXyO_MC9g3k
Last edited by Madner Kami on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:25 pm
Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am
but Farage is closer to Trump than Johnson, since Johnson has a genuine intellectual side and got to Eton and Oxford on scholarships

How do you know if he cared about what he had to learn?
If he didn't care he wouldn't have gotten his scholarships or attained a 2:1 (whereas Trump barely scraped by and doesn't want his grades to be public at all). He also wouldn't enjoy throwing in Latin phrases or Classical references in private, or writing historical non-fiction (of varying quality but still); he's got a side to him that's an intellectual show-off.

Basically, he's like Trump in the sense that he often seems to enjoy cutting corners and doing his hobbies than sticking out the serious administration of running a city or a country, but he's unlike Trump in that his particular hobbies and interests are less golf and sales and more word play and history. Almost as lazy, but not as dim.

Boris is more like a nerdier George W. Bush.
And you know from a fact that Farage is some sort of politico- economics-droid who has no interest outside of that?

in this 3 person spectrum i don't see him closer to Trump.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:06 am Great opinion piece about Johnson, highlighting the limits of comparing Trump and Johnson and why Johnson is a very different but dangerous no less:

youtu.be/dXyO_MC9g3k
I was just about to post that. Oliver is good at cutting through the junk and getting me to laugh, in spite of the often dark subject matter.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Video not available.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Oh right, I completely forgot about that. You are not allowed to display footage from the parliament in a satirical manner, by british law, so according episodes from John Oliver are blocked in the UK. Um, try this: http://us10.unblockyoutube.video/index.php?q=zNaqp6VsYpOqqq1lqdXWqtaZxmaa055nrJHZl850qZ7Iuq-GkX92nZpmoQ
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I have to say, I can't imagine Donald Trump coming out to a group of reporters and offering them cups of tea.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Admiral X wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 am I have to say, I can't imagine Donald Trump coming out to a group of reporters and offering them cups of tea.
How quintessentially... English. :lol:
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Dear british members of the forum. I like you, I really do, so please don't take my following words personal, as they are entirely aimed at your government. Having said that, I have to say:

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Congrats for "taking back control" from the EU by suspending your democratically elected parliament.

I honestly expected your Queen to deny Johnson's request, because it is so clearly not the wish of the parliament, to be prorogued.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:14 am Dear british members of the forum. I like you, I really do, so please don't take my following words personal, as they are entirely aimed at your government. Having said that, I have to say:

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Congrats for "taking back control" from the EU by suspending your democratically elected parliament.

I honestly expected your Queen to deny Johnson's request, because it is so clearly not the wish of the parliament, to be prorogued.
Nah, a lot of this is anti-Brexit propaganda. Mr Johnson isn't proroguing Parliament for a month, he is technically proroguing it for about four days as it backs onto conference season. And the reason why the Queen allowed it is because it is a perfectly reasonable request to have the Queen's speech in Autumn. Good on Her Maj and good on Mr Johnson for respecting the 17 million.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Somehow those voting for Brexit were not participating in a democratic process. Odd that.