SG-1: Meridian

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Wargriffin
Captain

SG-1: Meridian

Post by Wargriffin »

[url]http://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s5e21.php[/url]

Ahh this one
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
clearspira
Overlord

Re: SG-1: Meridian

Post by clearspira »

I really liked Jonas - he got stiffed. And to make matters worse they had a whole episode set on kelowna in SGU and didn't even mention him.

I also pinpoint this the exact moment that Stargate went from a sci-fi show grounded in reality to its gentle slope into its more ridiculous later years.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Wargriffin wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:37 pmAhh this one
Wasn't that the episode that brough us Jonas Quinn and took Daniel Jackson from us? I don't remember it being particularly bad in any way and Jonas actually being an interesting character that was critically under-used during his limited stay, yet your simple three word comment makes me feel as if there's a beef there.

Can't watch the review atm, since bandwidth is a bit of an issue on my current paths following the ancients (hooray for vacation).

So... Help me out, please.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm
Wasn't that the episode that brough us Jonas Quinn and took Daniel Jackson from us? I don't remember it being particularly bad in any way and Jonas actually being an interesting character that was critically under-used during his limited stay, yet your simple three word comment makes me feel as if there's a beef there.

Can't watch the review atm, since bandwidth is a bit of an issue on my current paths following the ancients (hooray for vacation).

Yes its the one where he ascends... the first time
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I think this episode looks less impressive in retrospect than it might have. The episode spends a long time saying goodbye to Daniel Jackson, telling us about his character, and generally wrapping up the various arcs he's had and tying them together. It does all this rather well. The problem is that he shows up a handful of episodes into the next season, then shows up a couple more times, and then is back at it in season seven.

Jonas was a fine character and wasn't really given a chance, and rewatching the show now it feels like Daniel Jackson is a specter looming over the show, just biding his time until he comes back. In hindsight it feels like a bit of a waste.
The owls are not what they seem.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

Jack's reaction to being pulled into the Ascended chat by Daniel was hilarious, thats a man who has seen way too much to be surprised by anything.

I enjoyed this episode well enough, Jonas was an interesting character, and I appreciated how they didn't just give Daniel a clean death. Dude was dying and dying hard, death by radiation is about the only way to die worse then being slowly fed into a giant blender.

The thing I liked about Jonas was he wasn't just Daniel 2.0. He was a pretty unique character and unlike other replacement characters he was not just forgotten when the original was slotted in, he did get a little follow up.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I liked it as a way to write out Shanks while being able to bring him back once in a while for a guest role, and it did add to the mythos of the show somewhat. The enlightenment thing I never really got... which probably shouldn't surprise anyone....

I think having him die and come back to the point that it became a running joke cheapened the consequences, to the point where death feels like less of a threat, but I can't pin all the blame for that on this episode alone.

And I agree with everyone else so far that Jonas Quinn deserved better. I liked the character, especially in and after "Descent," but most of the fans wanted Daniel back and there wasn't much room for Quinn after that.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

As someone who has seen the season, I think the biggest reason people liked Jonas is that he wasn’t Daniel but an alien, he was the resident smart guy but he was more nervous and had his own unique views on things that Daniel didn’t. Personally I wished the show gave him an episode with each member of SG1 and when Daniel came back, he could have been a recurring member of the show, like SG2’s science guy. Would have been good to see him on small occasions and maybe even have him have an episode where he and Daniel team up and bounce off each other while enjoying some science adventure.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Wargriffin wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:47 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm
[...] yet your simple three word comment makes me feel as if there's a beef there.

Yes its the one where he ascends... the first time
Heh, the question actually was: You seem to not be too enthusiastic about the episode. If that perception is true, then why is that the case?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

If it wasn't bad enough that Jonas was mostly forgotten (one guest appearance after leaving, only a few mentions overall), the biggest insult is that the character is possibly killed off later on without so much as his name being mentioned.

Stargate is one of the few franchises where I felt that a relatively small group of fans could actually make a difference, for better or worse. Fan opinion made it easier made it really hard to actually kill off a character like Carson on Atlantis, and it made it all too easy to bring back Jackson immediately and drop Jonas like nothing.
The owls are not what they seem.