Franchise woes?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Franchise woes?

Post by Yukaphile »

The five minutes even within the context of the anime is that they're fighting at great speeds. And the timeframes sync up just enough if you include what they do on Earth. My whole point anyway was that it feels as if modern anime never takes the time to breathe this all in, to build dramatic tension in some cases. Last anime I felt did that was Fate/Stay Night in 2006. Everything since has felt too fast, for better or worse.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Haven't watched too much anime in over a decade at this point. But I do want to get into DRAGON BALL KAI, as I wanna see how it plays without all the filler.

The last time I did watch DRAGON BALL, particularly the DBZ years, felt excruciatingly longer than it needed to be at times. I love satiating in the moment, but sometimes a whole episode dedicated to Trunks screaming to the heavens as his power level grows just becomes tedious.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:28 am
Mecha82 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:15 pm A far as Harry Potter goes Fantastic Beasts haven't really raised confidence to franchise's future.
I agree, and the sad thing is that the creator's still involved with a lot of power, so the fragmentation seems to fall at her own feet. Cursed Child was an utter mess (and even though she claims involvement, the writing style speaks to the truth being otherwise). Going forward, Fantastic Beasts so far has some very engaging and interesting ideas, but the films are intent on avoiding those as much as possible to focus on things that stray far from both the main story and the most relevant parts of the HP universe. Crimes of Grindelwald outright assassinated several characters for no good reason, and it's going to be difficult to maintain another three films after that. Depp was a casting mistake for that character which is haunting every film in the series. Both of the FB films are two completely separate movies that have been spell-o-taped together in the most haphazard way, and it's threatening to weaken the possibility of future books and movies in the same universe.
What kills me with Fantastic Beasts is they took two or possibly even three perfectly good Wizarding story ideas that could have been great if they'd each been given their own movies and room to breathe and instead destroyed all of them by stitching them into a single series.

Separate the Credence plotline and the surrounding "roaring twenties American wizards" vibe into a couple movies.

Do a one-shot about the actual Fantastic Beasts and Newt concept, just a fluffy comedy or something.

Trying make the main characters of the Grindewald plot into the heroes of those other, "belong in a TOTALLY different genre" movies means constantly shoehorning in these unrelated elements instead of, y'know, being about the corrosive effect Grindewald and his Wizard-Supremacy is having on them, and how Dumbledore is trying to cope with all of that.

Like, I know it's trendy to hate on the MCU, but y'know why they've had like an 80% "at least pretty good" success rate over two dozen movies? Because most of them were allowed to just be their own genre, as appropriate to the headlining hero, with the superhero bits tweaked to fit the tone of that genre.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:28 am
Mecha82 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:15 pm A far as Harry Potter goes Fantastic Beasts haven't really raised confidence to franchise's future.
I agree, and the sad thing is that the creator's still involved with a lot of power, so the fragmentation seems to fall at her own feet. Cursed Child was an utter mess (and even though she claims involvement, the writing style speaks to the truth being otherwise). Going forward, Fantastic Beasts so far has some very engaging and interesting ideas, but the films are intent on avoiding those as much as possible to focus on things that stray far from both the main story and the most relevant parts of the HP universe. Crimes of Grindelwald outright assassinated several characters for no good reason, and it's going to be difficult to maintain another three films after that. Depp was a casting mistake for that character which is haunting every film in the series. Both of the FB films are two completely separate movies that have been spell-o-taped together in the most haphazard way, and it's threatening to weaken the possibility of future books and movies in the same universe.
Rowling's problem if I am to be fair is that she has George Lucas disease. Her earlier installments had a different feel to the later ones in terms of length, tone and style, whether through her writing skill at the time or a militant editor. Either way, like Lucas with the Prequels and the Special Editions, it seems to me that once the brakes were off and she was so famous that she could do literally anything, out came all the Pottermore shit and trying so desperately hard to make out that characters were gay. If you are going to out a character after it no longer matters, just don't effing bother please.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:53 pm Wait, what first timeskip? You do know there are many of them in the series...

I'm fairly certain that there is only one first timeskip in Dragon Ball. :P
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

Elderdog wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:09 pm ReBoot
Some stuff in the Lord of the Rings series outside of the books
Reboot could definitely use a reboot, but the one we got was not it (it was in-name-only, really). Remake the show, give it a complete overhaul visually and fix some of the dumb parts and you'd have something solid that works today, even without needing to update the tech world much.

What Lord of the Rings stuff outside the books? Do you mean the film adaptations? Tolkien didn't make anything but books, unless you mean his notes?

I was referring to the new video games and the Hobbit movies. Truthfully, I have nothing against Tolkien's work and I loved New Line Cinema's first film trilogy, I just think that the franchise has been mismanaged recently.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:38 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:53 pm Wait, what first timeskip? You do know there are many of them in the series...

I'm fairly certain that there is only one first timeskip in Dragon Ball. :P
I count three. One with Goku in his late teens, then as an adult father, then Gohan going to high school.

Then there’s the fourth if anyone bothers to count the short lived continuation series.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... you don't need to patronize me... but Dragon Ball has a lot of timeskips and you never specified whether you meant the original Z or Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball's first timeskip was technically going to the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, while Z's first timeskip was arguably when the Saiyans landed. Be specific. Are you talking about when Goku finally came back to Earth? Because I love the Cell Saga. Made me a Teen Gohan fan through and through.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Makeshift Python
Captain

Good point, there seems to be a ton of time skips.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

So I ask again: Which timeskip? Which era of the show? Or do you mean Dragon Ball Super? I've seen a few people call Super "Dragon Ball."