VOY: Extreme Risk Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

VOY: Extreme Risk Review

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

[url]http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v897.php[/url]
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: VOY: Extreme Risk Review

Post by Madner Kami »

This is not Adam West's Batmobile.
I beg to differ. This will be the Delta Flyer and although it will technically be destroyed and replaced by the Delta Flyer Mk 2 offscreen, it still has Batman-levels of capabilities, so is about as close to a Batmobile as can be, without being either Inspector Gadget or even Batman himself.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well that's interesting, this is one of the episodes I requested, and someone else's name was on it. I wonder why.

Regarding this episode, Torres is probably my favorite character on Voyager. She has a lot of anger, but a lot of it is a front for her insecurity about where she stands in the world. As she told Chakotay in this episode,
TORRES wrote:When I was six, my father walked out on me. When I was nineteen, I got kicked out of Starfleet. A few years later, I got separated from the Maquis. And just when I start to feel safe, you tell me that all of our old friends have been slaughtered. The way I figure it, I've lost every family I've ever had.
Torres is in a sort of holding pattern, keeping people distant, because if she let's them get close, she knows they'll leave her in some way, or she'll have to leave them. That speaks to the harshness of her life, and part of that is her blaming herself, part of that is blaming others, but it's the source of a lot of her anger, and her sadness. Because people in that sort of pain put up a false front of being tough, because they're very scared of letting anyone in, for fear of being hurt again. It's why Tom had to constantly work to break down her walls. She was afraid of him leaving her, for whatever reason that might happen. We finally get to the root of it in season 7, where she faces up to the personal demons she has.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

''This has been a problem for months, but it wasn't a problem for months last week.''

And in one line, Voyager summed up.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:55 pm ''This has been a problem for months, but it wasn't a problem for months last week.''

Yeah, it would take until Enterprise to really have an actual emotional arc built up and explored. On the plus side, looking back, "Day of Honor", "Extreme Risk", and "Lineage" all form a sort of arc for Torres, showing us what lies behind the armor of anger she wears a lot of the time, and why that is.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

FaxModem1 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 pm Well that's interesting, this is one of the episodes I requested, and someone else's name was on it. I wonder why.
Sorry about that, I'll fix it asap.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

Yeah, honestly would have given this a 7 or 8, instead. While it has the typical Voyager problems of, as pointed out, "This has been a problem for months but it wasn't a problem for months last week," the exploration of such a topic is rare for them to tackle with any semblance of competence and I felt they did handle it as well as could be expected given Voyager's track record. The fact that they're willing to handle the impact at ALL is damn impressive - Voyager is usually so against having character development and it reflects on something that was unique to it - the Maquis background of so many characters.

I also felt that Neelix was better handled here and acting in a role they SHOULD have been developing for him - as basically a quasi ship's counselor... which Voyager desperately needs given its situation.
planescaped
Redshirt

Post by planescaped »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:55 pm ''This has been a problem for months, but it wasn't a problem for months last week.''

Too true. It used to drive me nuts as a kid whenever a show had such disgusting disregard for continuity. As an adult, I know it as just being shit writing. I find I like Voyager a lot less than I did when I was in middle/high school... Whereas Farscape and Babylon 5 I thought were kinda dumb are now two of my all time favorite shows. :P
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Absolutely. Then again considering how eager Voyager's writers most of time were to keep status quo and not develop characters it's small wonder that they even remembered that and used it in this episode way they did.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

So our crew designs and builds a speciality ship from design concept to manufacturing to construction in a couple of days with time to argue about aesthetics. Though you might think diving into a gas giant might be useful sometime and Starfleet would have designs for such in the computer library consdering what minutae is also in the library, especially if an Intrepid class does have manufacturing facilities.

The antagonists in the ostensible plot may be the most cartoonishly on point race since 1st season TNG Ferengi.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress