Is the prohibition against SW Prequel Reviews even still relevant?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Is the prohibition against SW Prequel Reviews even still relevant?

Post by Yukaphile »

I don't think Chuck is a Legends fan. He's probably not a casual, but not a die-hard hold-out either.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Also, mathewgsmith, don't you know? Legends is not canon, it never was, it's a mess, it doesn't matter. At least according to those in charge, those sensitive snowflakes. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:02 am Also, mathewgsmith, don't you know? Legends is not canon, it never was, it's a mess, it doesn't matter. At least according to those in charge, those sensitive snowflakes. :lol:
Everything released after the reset is canon, and the Tarkin novel brought Plagueis in.

As to Chuck being a legends fan... he wrote a series of six novel-length fanfics about a Star Wars-Star Trek crossover that draws from it heavily. It's called The Unity Cylcle, and you can find it at http://unitysaga.com.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, that's about the state of Lucasfilm and Star Wars now. "Legends is not canon, but it's partially canon while we plagiarize ideas from it that are worth being added to this new, respected material."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:11 am As to Chuck being a legends fan... he wrote a series of six novel-length fanfics about a Star Wars-Star Trek crossover that draws from it heavily. It's called The Unity Cylcle, and you can find it at http://unitysaga.com.
That's interesting. Then again there has been people wanting those two franchises to crossover so it's no wonder that Chuck made his own.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

With the vitriolic opposition to the prequels fading, I think Chuck's even-handed approach, along with his typical humor and insight, would be welcome.

And to be honest, I don't think the fact that people did overly long, pedantic, thesis-like takedowns of the prequels should have ever precluded a sfdebris review on the subject. Maybe the subject was just too toxic to touch, but some of those reviews miss the forest for the trees. Chuck is better than most at giving an overall picture of a work.
The owls are not what they seem.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:56 pm With the vitriolic opposition to the prequels fading, I think Chuck's even-handed approach, along with his typical humor and insight, would be welcome.

And to be honest, I don't think the fact that people did overly long, pedantic, thesis-like takedowns of the prequels should have ever precluded a sfdebris review on the subject. Maybe the subject was just too toxic to touch, but some of those reviews miss the forest for the trees. Chuck is better than most at giving an overall picture of a work.
By internet standards I'm a toothless geriatric, so I remember the days when Red Letter Media was at its height and Chuck posted his version 1 Generations review. That toxic Youtube comment section he had was probably one of the biggest motivators to never doing a Prequel review. Trust me, there is no maybe.
Seaward
Redshirt

Post by Seaward »

I'm inclined to agree that, regardless of how many other people have made their own videos, essays and so on, it would be worthwhile to see Chuck's take on the prequels. After all, as others have said, he did reviews of the OT despite admitted up front that there wasn't much left to talk about.

That being said, if Chuck says there should be no requests for Prequel reviews, I'm not going to push the matter. Though I would be interested to know if his opinion on the topic has shifted any since earlier days.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, Chuck was pretty good with his walk-through of Lucas's history. I recall a thread entitled "To arms, prequel defenders!" And we didn't even need to. Hell, he didn't even claim Jar Jar was racist past touching up on the pure history of it. I actually laughed when Lucas tried putting in many Hispanics for the clones, and STILL got accused of racism.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:31 pm I actually laughed when Lucas tried putting in many Hispanics for the clones, and STILL got accused of racism.
Wait, what? Didn't Temuera Morrison play all the clones? Was this a preproduction thing I wasn't previously aware of?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.