Was Eddington the wrong leader for the Maquis?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Was Eddington the wrong leader for the Maquis?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:09 pm @Independent George And that's why I really hate revolutions.
So what you're just happy with the dictatorship in place robbing from the social wealth?
..What mirror universe?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Guess the Maquis should have just laid down and died then... :roll:
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@BridgeConsoleMasher No, but what's better? The alternative? Either you work slow to change society, or you upend the established order, we've seen what that leads to, looting, murder, torture, rape, chaos.

@Admiral X I'm not saying that at all. But I tend to agree with Sisko, that they had crossed the line.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Hey, had Chakotay not been in Voyager would he have outranked Eddington? Then again it was implied that Cal Hudson was the head of the Maquis and if I remember correctly he was the same rank as eddington in star fleet when he defected and he defected sooner so shouldn't he have been the leader? Then again I remember Eddington saying Cal had died in his last episode before dying to Jem'hadar.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Plus don't expect continuity from Voyager. It will let you down all the time.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:57 pm Because they weren't a sovereign power?
No, they were just a collection of people who lived on planets and had their own government.
Eddington would have gone full-blown Fascist against the Cardies and kicked them all out.
Yes, which is a war crime that he committed and then Sisko commited.
That was proven. So the Dominion was his much-deserved slap in the face. While Cardassian imperialism played a part, I've said over and over that unless we had actual proof the humans were the first settlers, then the Cardassians absolutely had every right to be there.
Star Trek is full of inhabitable wilderness planets.
Hell, it is MORE likely the humans were recent newcomers, given how old the Cardassian Empire is and just how recently humans had gone into space. So, this just strikes me as trading Cardassian imperialism for human imperialism. No one wins.
I find it unsettling you're referring to a group founded around Native Americans as imperialists.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And yet, we know many of the Maquis were Native Americans. Can you really dispute that after centuries of abuse, they'd become everything they hated in their attempts to push the Cardassians out of the zone? Hell, the Israelis have become everything they claim to hate today, with their regards to the Palestinians.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Considering all they wanted was to be left alone, not really.
-TR
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:23 pm And yet, we know many of the Maquis were Native Americans. Can you really dispute that after centuries of abuse, they'd become everything they hated in their attempts to push the Cardassians out of the zone?
Yes.

Is that a question? The Native Americans colonized a world, the Federation then said they had to leave, they said no, and the Cardassians accepted a deal that they immediately went back on. It's not even a case of nuance as flat out adopting the Cardassian's propaganda as true. Which, I remind you, is a group based on the Nazis.

Oh and the Maquis are named for the French Resistance.
Hell, the Israelis have become everything they claim to hate today, with their regards to the Palestinians.
The treatment of the Palestinians is terrible and there are numerous war as well as peacetime crimes against them. Claiming "The Israelis" are everything they claim to hate is bigoted bullshit. Do you claim the United States is responsible for every evil its government has done?
Last edited by CharlesPhipps on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I thought the Maquis were named after the French resistance against the Nazis.
-TR