Star Wars Legends/Old Eu help?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Beelzquill
Officer

Star Wars Legends/Old Eu help?

Post by Beelzquill »

Since a lot of threads in this forum have dealt with Star Wars legends and many of my friends have reccomended the Thrawn trilogy to me, I've decided I should probably read them, but I don't know if that's where I should start first in Legends or not.

To give background, I've only watched the pre disney movies, the 2d clone wars cartoon from 2003 and played the first knights of the old republic. Can you help a guy out?
Nealithi
Captain

Re: Star Wars Legends/Old Eu help?

Post by Nealithi »

To read the trilogy you really only need episodes IV, V, VI.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

thank you
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Beelzquill wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:30 pm Since a lot of threads in this forum have dealt with Star Wars legends and many of my friends have reccomended the Thrawn trilogy to me, I've decided I should probably read them, but I don't know if that's where I should start first in Legends or not.

To give background, I've only watched the pre disney movies, the 2d clone wars cartoon from 2003 and played the first knights of the old republic. Can you help a guy out?
You should read the John Jakson Miller SW KOTOR comics...

No it's not about the characters from the game.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Just a heads up DON'T read Legacy of the Force. Trust me when I say it's not worth it.
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

Winter wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 pm Just a heads up DON'T read Legacy of the Force. Trust me when I say it's not worth it.
Agreed.
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

I recommend the Thrawn trilogy considering that it kept the franchise in the public eye in between the movies otherwise, you've pretty much watched and played the best parts of the old EU. However, if you're still curious about the old EU I would recommend Dark Horse's Tales of the Jedi and Old Republic comic series, any video game involving Kyle Katarn, and maybe some books written by Karen Traviss depending on how much you like Mandalorians.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I'd also recommend the Hand of Thrawn Duology.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

You might want to consider the audiobook version. Decent performance plus added music and sound effects, as is for some reason standard for Star Wars audiobooks.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

I have to second the praise for the KOTOR comics and the ire for Legacy of the Force. (Though the similarly named Legacy Comics where good. Heck anything with John Ostrander and Jan Dursema is a good bet.)

One bit of warning on The Thrawn Trilogy: While it is a strong trilogy that helped form the backbone of the old EU, I personally went into it with all the hype and recommendations ringing in my ears, which let me down a bit when I set my expectations unrealistically high. It's definitely good, just don't go into it expecting the Citizen Kane of SW novels.