Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I love Nanoha, and I'm fond of the Dub too.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

I hope this means we're getting A's one day. Because to just ask for the first season is sadistic and so much extra work xD

Fun fact, just cuz no ones mentioned it, this is actually a spin off of an assassin game, which stars the rest of the family. Nanoha's kind of a background character there. When they talk about studying, and family work, they're murdering yakuza and shit xD

What will be interesting is, Nanoha was created to be like Gundam in a magical girl form (just look at the suits). It's probably why it draws so much comparison to Madoka, another series that comes at the box from an outside angle. So I'm curious if Chuck will mention that, or even catch the similarities since he's not so genre-savvy.

But yeah nothing to even talk about til episode 7 as far as I'm concerned xD
locuas
Redshirt

Post by locuas »

Something also worth noticing is that this show premiered around the same time as the first entry of the "Precure" magical girl franchise. Interestingly, they are both noteworthy for trying to introduce more action and fighting into the genre.
Personally, the show is alright. just alright.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

The bit about the Cat in a Zombie Apocalypse might be one of the funiest thing i've heard in years. My ribs hurt.
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

Come to think of it, I never watched the first season. I was drag into A's straight away by my friend.

A's was great. But I have to said SS is disappointing. Never watched ViVid or ViVid Strike, I wonder how those two were rank?
aceina
Officer

Post by aceina »

i love this anime so much

curious if he will do A's after he finishes this series (aka when the writers realized they had been writing a yuri anime)
Rawbeard
Redshirt

Post by Rawbeard »

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm if you could understand Japanese, it would cone off the same way.
I know, but there is still enough of a distance between Japanese and any other language I can understand to any degree, that it doesn't come off as super weird. I don't know what kind of weird voice you'd have to use to make the visuals and the voice acting blend in the same way, or if it's possible, but I really want to wedgie a weeb everytime I hear the english dubs. the same problem does not happen with older english dubs, where they were either just fucking around or not giving a fuck, so it was god aweful, but not "DIE SPAWN OF SATAN!" levels of weird
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Rawbeard wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:12 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm if you could understand Japanese, it would cone off the same way.
but I really want to wedgie a weeb everytime I hear the english dubs.
Oh please don't, some us don't get a choice! Bad eyesight and all.
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 pm Fun fact, just cuz no ones mentioned it, this is actually a spin off of an assassin game, which stars the rest of the family. Nanoha's kind of a background character there. When they talk about studying, and family work, they're murdering yakuza and shit xD
WHAT?! Seriously?!
Fourth Dimension
Redshirt

Post by Fourth Dimension »

Hi, long time fan, registered just for this and all I have to say is

OH NO THE DUB. NO THE DUB THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED! :D

Yeah, I'm not fan of the dub, but since it's Chuck's preference it'll have to do :D

And dub here is MOSTLY fine, with ONE but VERY important problem. That is Nanoha's (which for some reason Chuck seems to pronounce Nanowa at moments?!?) VA doesn't fit her. I know they were trying to do Tamura Yukari's voice which is cute, but the difference here is that while Yukari's voice is cute and childish, when it's GAME ON, Yukari can bust out Nanoha's lines in a way you'll stop and listen when she says she'll beat your ass. Same can not be said of the dub unfortunately. Plus I think dub does some creative interpretations on the naming front. But I guess it'll do :D

And yes, as someone mentioned Nanoha is TECHNICALLY is spinof from something studio did before it. A series of ero games and their OVAs about a family of samurai/security people. That's the dad and siblings of Nanoha's. Except Nanoha isn't set in the same world, since in that universe Shiro (dad) got blown up and here he is alive. This is the reason there is that scene lingering on Shiro's an entire mess of scarr tissue on his back. That scene is basically there only for their previous fans.

That being said none of that is of any relevance to the plot of this, since now he has retired/escaped, and has even taken his new wife's name Takamachi.

Also the reason why Mom (Momoko) looks so young while "having" teen kids, is because those aren't her kids. Boy is Shiro's son from first marriage and girl is actually not even Shiro's daughter but his sister's, only she has pretty much been adopted after mom skeedadled on a rampage of revenge or something.

I'm only mentioning this as curious tidbits that won't really matter much in future :D
---------------

In any case I thought it would be Movie 1st that would be done not first season, becaise no matter how great a fan I am, 1st season is kinda wonky. Well this first segment untill Ep like 6 or 7 is wonky. And especially these first 3-4 episodes might as well have been copied from some other magical girl show, until at later date in production they got their idea what should their show's THING be. At which point they scrambled to mix and match already done stuff into this. But once we do get into those later episodes it'll be smooth sailing.

Also this was pretty much studio's first anime thing they did. They did some OVAs for these games, but this was their first anime season project of their own, and it kinda shows in bouncy production quality. Take for example that dinner scene with it's clearly OVERDONE animation to the point it enters uncanny valley.

As for the creepy service... considering they used to do ERO games till this point, and considering the service is really only limited to the transformation scene, I'd actually say It's suprisingly tame. Almost like they REAAAALY tired to make something that WON'T be considered creepy for once, but backsid by accident in places :D

Also it's by faaaar MUCH tamer to the kind of shit that gets aired these days. We should make Chuck watch Prizma Ilya 2wei at some point just for kicks :D
[url=https://discord.gg/WhuNjQj]Midchilda: Nanoha Discord server[/url]