Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fourth Dimension
Redshirt

Re: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Post by Fourth Dimension »

Chaos Sepher wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm
SuccubusYuri wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 pm Fun fact, just cuz no ones mentioned it, this is actually a spin off of an assassin game, which stars the rest of the family. Nanoha's kind of a background character there. When they talk about studying, and family work, they're murdering yakuza and shit xD
WHAT?! Seriously?!
Kiiinda. Dad used to do security before and they are from a pair of samurai families with their own sword and fighting styles and such. But they were more into security than assasination from what I heard from people that played those games. Of course things would go sideways and it'll be gunfights, swordfights and picking who to bone, because ero games.

But dad is retired now after nearly getting killed in an explosion and remarried to Nanoha's eventual mom and took her surname too. So by all indicators they aren't doing that any more... at least dad isn't.
[url=https://discord.gg/WhuNjQj]Midchilda: Nanoha Discord server[/url]
aceina
Officer

Post by aceina »

curious how chuck will react to fates mother (aka the 3rd worst mother in anime)
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Fourth Dimension wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm
Chaos Sepher wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm
SuccubusYuri wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 pm Fun fact, just cuz no ones mentioned it, this is actually a spin off of an assassin game, which stars the rest of the family. Nanoha's kind of a background character there. When they talk about studying, and family work, they're murdering yakuza and shit xD
WHAT?! Seriously?!
Kiiinda. Dad used to do security before and they are from a pair of samurai families with their own sword and fighting styles and such. But they were more into security than assasination from what I heard from people that played those games. Of course things would go sideways and it'll be gunfights, swordfights and picking who to bone, because ero games.

But dad is retired now after nearly getting killed in an explosion and remarried to Nanoha's eventual mom and took her surname too. So by all indicators they aren't doing that any more... at least dad isn't.
I believe Nanoha's older sister is actually a Cousin and she was a love interest for the brother.
Fourth Dimension
Redshirt

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:30 pm I believe Nanoha's older sister is actually a Cousin and she was a love interest for the brother.
See previous page where I had a bigger post, eaten by being last on that page :D

And yes, older sis is actually Shiro's (dad) sister's kid. So cousin baiscaly. Then again Nanoha's older bro is not the son of Nanoha's mom. Hence why a early 30s looking woman has a uni going son.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

I saw this coming on on the page this morning and was like "oh, [expletive] yes!"

MGLN is one of my favourites, and I'm delighted to see Chuck's take on it. (Madoka-ing before Madoka did, though not quite as hard!)

Hell, I watched the SUB first (that remains pretty much unique) and I'm still sore that StrikerS never appeared to even have a DVD release that I could get hold of, dub, sub or otherwise. (I, ahem, watched the original series through StrikerS on the interwebs the first time...)

(The DVD for As cost me a fortune, since I got slapped with another £12 on top of it by Customs when I bought it...)

Ahahahahahahahahahaha!

Poor Yuuno. Not only is he the fanbase's whipping boy (how dare he be sort of possibly an obstacle to the One True Ship) and getting marginalised in canon after the first two series, Chuck immediately thinks he's a girl and takes the rip out of his name!

The irony here being if Yuuno WAS a girl, he'd probably have done a lot better!

Ah me!

I did have a jolly old laugh during this review, especially at Chuck's reaction to the transformations.

They are... Yeah. When I first watched it, I was kind of baffled by it, trying to work out who the target audience for it was, because I was like "uh, isn't she, like... Nine?" But, aside from the nudity bit, the device part of the transformations is SO COOL. (And the music is AWESOME, especially in StrikerS down the line.) And they do it a couple of times in full (as I recall) and then don't do it much after that. And then we get as far a StrikerS, where they did like, one in full for the major characters and never did it again and it was like they felt they had to pay lip-service to doing it once and then but didn't want to linger on it.

Someone once said (and I don't know how true it is) that MGLN was the first thing the studio did after doing mostly hentai or eroge or something... (Edit, yes, reading futher down the thread before I posted confirmed it!) Which might sort of explain a lot.
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

I'm not sure how much of the background from the games Nanoha is a spin-off from you can really read into things as, well, there are at least a few portions are obviously aren't true. I think it's best to consider the games as having provided the looks and names for some of the characters, but that's about it. Mind you, Nanoha's dad obviously did used to have an immensely dangerous job in this setting, but it need not be the same kind of job. Kinda fun to think of alternate ones that would have resulted in those injuries, actually. I like to think that there's an action movie plot happening in the background of this series around Shiro, with somebody trying to drag him back for "one last assignment" while he insists he's just a baker now, but because Nanoha is so focused on her new magical girl duties she doesn't notice.

As for whether or not A's was requested... look, I'm not made of money. I had to save up for a while to get this one in the queue. Maybe somebody else has/will do it, but I haven't.
Fourth Dimension
Redshirt

Edvarius wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:58 pm I'm not sure how much of the background from the games Nanoha is a spin-off from you can really read into things as, well, there are at least a few portions are obviously aren't true. I think it's best to consider the games as having provided the looks and names for some of the characters, but that's about it. Mind you, Nanoha's dad obviously did used to have an immensely dangerous job in this setting, but it need not be the same kind of job. Kinda fun to think of alternate ones that would have resulted in those injuries, actually. I like to think that there's an action movie plot happening in the background of this series around Shiro, with somebody trying to drag him back for "one last assignment" while he insists he's just a baker now, but because Nanoha is so focused on her new magical girl duties she doesn't notice.

As for whether or not A's was requested... look, I'm not made of money. I had to save up for a while to get this one in the queue. Maybe somebody else has/will do it, but I haven't.
Oh yeah. Everything we see in MGLN is really on the level of nodds and winks at the previous audience and is mostly focused in first season since they were probably counting on at least part of their fans to turn up for this new thing.
And whatever her dad was doing, given their later reaction, and explicit reaction in Reflection manga, I'd say it wasn't office work :D
Also if someone came to him for a last job, I have a feeling they'd start moving since he even changed his surname :D
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Edvarius wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:58 pm I'm not sure how much of the background from the games Nanoha is a spin-off from you can really read into things as, well, there are at least a few portions are obviously aren't true. I think it's best to consider the games as having provided the looks and names for some of the characters, but that's about it. Mind you, Nanoha's dad obviously did used to have an immensely dangerous job in this setting, but it need not be the same kind of job. Kinda fun to think of alternate ones that would have resulted in those injuries, actually. I like to think that there's an action movie plot happening in the background of this series around Shiro, with somebody trying to drag him back for "one last assignment" while he insists he's just a baker now, but because Nanoha is so focused on her new magical girl duties she doesn't notice.

See this is why we should have just done the first movie, then we could do the series proper because important stuff actually happens in A's xD

I mean legit I think the movie is a far better way to get someone into the series than the...actual first series. It works out! Since you're only really cramming about <3 hours of "important" material into two. xD And the fights are so gorgeous in the movies, too.
Fourth Dimension
Redshirt

Well, I do think Movie 1st is a better first start, than S1 (on the other hand I'm not a fan of later movies), the movie does cut some of the emotional bits that relate to the MC in favor of the plot proper. So I'd say that if the first half can be gotten through, for this type of analysis that will go into characters S1 is maybe better.
GloatingSwine
Officer

Post by GloatingSwine »

Fourth Dimension wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm I'm only mentioning this as curious tidbits that won't really matter much in future :D
Given that the family basically don't exist after the first season it won't matter at all, though the fact that they're all samurai bodyguards probably explains why "bye Dad I'm off to save the world" is not regarded as unusual behaviour for a nine year old.