Superman V.S The Elite

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Superman V.S The Elite

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:25 pm Thing about Superman that everyone who argues how he should kill tends to ignore is that that he is supposed to bring hope and inspire people to be better, not be judge, jury and executioner. When you want Superman who kills and rules over humanity you get one from Injustice video games were he brutally murders people over things like not agreeing with him like he did to Shazam who let me remind everyone is actually just a kid in adult body when he transforms.
In this though, there's a conundrum in that the people he's trying to inspire are unilaterally deciding that they want him to be more effective as they see from The Elite.. I think it comes more down to Superman's own code as far as how he's trying to handle the situation.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:25 pm Thing about Superman that everyone who argues how he should kill tends to ignore is that that he is supposed to bring hope and inspire people to be better, not be judge, jury and executioner. When you want Superman who kills and rules over humanity you get one from Injustice video games were he brutally murders people over things like not agreeing with him like he did to Shazam who let me remind everyone is actually just a kid in adult body when he transforms.
In this though, there's a conundrum in that the people he's trying to inspire are unilaterally deciding that they want him to be more effective as they see from The Elite.. I think it comes more down to Superman's own code as far as how he's trying to handle the situation.
Truth, justice and the American way. The Anerican way being the idealised America that embodies democracy, liberation, free speech etc rather than the America you may otherwise wish it to be.

Superman written well is essentially the US constitution in humanoid form.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 pm
Truth, justice and the American way. The Anerican way being the idealised America that embodies democracy, liberation, free speech etc rather than the America you may otherwise wish it to be.

Well I do like it when he gets mind controlled or whatever, goes unbarred, and you see just how throttled he is normally when he's simply trying to subdue the villain.
..What mirror universe?
Gruntagen
Redshirt

Post by Gruntagen »

I’m disappointed that he didn’t show the “How does it feel to be deconstructed” line.
NovaShoujo
Redshirt

Post by NovaShoujo »

Two of my favourite lines in this movie have to be "I made the mistake of treating you people like... people" and "Your team of killers. And now guess what, they won't be killing anyone else", the latter made creepier by showing supe's slasher smile.

Last edited by NovaShoujo on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NovaShoujo
Redshirt

Post by NovaShoujo »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 pm Well I do like it when he gets mind controlled or whatever, goes unbarred, and you see just how throttled he is normally when he's simply trying to subdue the villain.
Yeah there's something to be said for the awe of god-like power used to brutally put down the evil. Like Chuck said, it does make you feel better. I think it's ok to some times indulge in that instinctual response as long as you keep it in the realm of fiction. My favourite book, The one who eats monsters by Casey Matthews (which Chuck will be reviewing eventually) is like that. It's basically 30% the protagonist ripping rapists limb from limb with her god power, and damn if it isn't cathartic
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I like this one, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I like the animation style here, something about it screams "Mamoru Hosoda' to me.

I wish DC would go back to doing different animated films, because ever since Flashpoint they've been cramming all but a few into one timeline, and for the worse in my opinion. I mean, the Hush movie was okay, but not exactly the adaptation I had been wanting for over a decade.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 pm

The constitution with that very much allows executions and has the second amendment
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Also, please nobody fall for any water from the air scams.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

From how it’s presented, Superman is probably thinking that because people are scared and angry, they want a simple solution over the REAL solution. I mean, this is something that the comics has done but Superman was able to convince Atomic Skull to finally become a good guy, and now he’s a warden for the jail and it’s stuck. Plus, because he’s not a famous villain, this is something that could stick for a long while before some hack writer rewrites him to being a villain. Superman was able to turn a mass murdering psycho into someone who protects others and sympathies. The Elite erases that opportunity. They don’t solve problems. They kill it.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.