TOS - Is There in Truth No Beauty?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MerelyAFan
Officer

TOS - Is There in Truth No Beauty?

Post by MerelyAFan »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/s062.php

The Medusans always struck me as one of the more interesting high concept species on TOS (especially given how rubber forehead aliens became so standard in the franchise) and its a shame they weren't utilized in a more interesting story.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: TOS - Is There in Truth No Beauty?

Post by PerrySimm »

Ah yes, this is the other Diana Muldaur TOS episode. The MacGuffin is a bit odd, and it lacks levity, but it's trying to be science fiction, and it's less tedious than the average Season 3 ep.

BTW when I hear "Dr. Jones", well...

youtu.be/HKsuK3s0kcI
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Despite some silly bits (yes, you can die of a broken heart: [ur]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takotsubo_cardiomyopathy[/ur]; but it's not that fast), I enjoyed the story for having a really different alien, and for a troubled but sympathetic guest character, Bones figuring out a medical matter and showing the discretion to keep it to himself until it was vital to disclose it, and a moment of self-doubt from Kirk that helps to humanize his character. Not one of my favorite episodes, but one I can enjoy re-watching.

It would have been nice if they'd mentioned watching out for people with glowing eyes, or why they didn't have to, but I can't say the story really suffered for the lack of that. Maybe they weren't in the energy barrier despite what I thought.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MerelyAFan wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 pm https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/s062.php

The Medusans always struck me as one of the more interesting high concept species on TOS (especially given how rubber forehead aliens became so standard in the franchise) and its a shame they weren't utilized in a more interesting story.
That has always been one of the plusses of TOS. If you can get over how cheap their suits were, the alien diversity was very strong. The Gorn, the Mugato, the Horta, the Tholians. It made the universe seem varied and complex and it really is one of the things that TOS fans can point to as a reason why this is their fave show of the franchise.

I am genuinely struggling to think of a single prominent non-humanoid alien beyond TOS besides 8472. The producers just did not want to bother with anything more than rubber foreheads.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 pm
MerelyAFan wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 pm https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/s062.php

That has always been one of the plusses of TOS. If you can get over how cheap their suits were, the alien diversity was very strong. The Gorn, the Mugato, the Horta, the Tholians. It made the universe seem varied and complex and it really is one of the things that TOS fans can point to as a reason why this is their fave show of the franchise.

I am genuinely struggling to think of a single prominent non-humanoid alien beyond TOS besides 8472. The producers just did not want to bother with anything more than rubber foreheads.
TNG did have the occasional out there life form but the continual use of races like the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc tended to drown out the one shot appearances of Tin Man, the nanites, the Calamarain, or the Microbrain from Home Soil. TOS also stood out more in treating those like the Tholians as an expected part of the galaxy; distinct certainly but not viewed with the same sense of wonder like the lifeform in "Emergence" or an unknown menace like species 8472 was.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The return if the pink barrier at the edge of the galaxy from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which is nice continuity...

Except for the fact that last time the ship nearly blew up and they got two Q level crewmen with glowing eyes. Are we meant to just forget that? I'm getting "Final Frontier" flashbacks with The Great Barrier that destroys everything that enters it - unless you happen to be the Enterprise or the Kia of Prey then you are fine.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 pmI am genuinely struggling to think of a single prominent non-humanoid alien beyond TOS besides 8472. The producers just did not want to bother with anything more than rubber foreheads.
Odo?
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

The problem with shows about Gorgon, the Ugliest woman EVAH is the same as shows about Helen of Troy, the Beautifulest woman Evah; it is always disappointing.

Worst of all.nictitaing membrane we hates that trope. we hates it forever.
Fortunately, TPTB pulled a Threshold and nevah mentioned membranes evah again.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:54 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 pmI am genuinely struggling to think of a single prominent non-humanoid alien beyond TOS besides 8472. The producers just did not want to bother with anything more than rubber foreheads.
Odo?
The Founders mostly show up as humanoids even if they are not in their at rest state. If the founders count, then so do the Q. Also you have the little crystal lifeforms in the terraforming colony in early TNG.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 pm
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:54 pm
Odo?
The Founders mostly show up as humanoids even if they are not in their at rest state. If the founders count, then so do the Q. Also you have the little crystal lifeforms in the terraforming colony in early TNG.
Odo and Q can count, but as said, they spend 95% of their time looking human.