TOS - Is There in Truth No Beauty?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: TOS - Is There in Truth No Beauty?

Post by Nealithi »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:01 am
TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:40 am True not everybody is epileptic, but if it physically damages the brain or nerves somehow, that makes a lot more sense than saying everyone who sees the Medusans has the exact same type of mental breakdown.
How do we know everyone who sees them goes crazy in the exact same way? We only saw it happen to two people, which isn't much of a sample. For all we know, some people can look at a Medusan and just start liking Neelix or voting Republican or thinking pineapple on pizza is a good idea or something.
How can you do that!
I can see bringing up Neelix and Republicans. They are mildly discomforting.
But to include that sacrilege to time, space, and pizza! Do you have no shame?!
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:14 pm
But IIRC it's not that seeing God makes you go crazy, but that you just die.
They went through five Adams before they worked that one out. :D
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:22 pm
TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:14 pm
But IIRC it's not that seeing God makes you go crazy, but that you just die.
They went through five Adams before they worked that one out. :D
If you are looking for a cohesive narrative, the bible is not the place to look for it.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Is it me or was Kirk kinda racist in Thai episode. He basically said she wouldn't be happy with a Medusans and that she doesn't feel the way she claims to and should settle down with a human like her and Him.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Nealithi wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:51 pm
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:01 am
TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:40 am True not everybody is epileptic, but if it physically damages the brain or nerves somehow, that makes a lot more sense than saying everyone who sees the Medusans has the exact same type of mental breakdown.
How do we know everyone who sees them goes crazy in the exact same way? We only saw it happen to two people, which isn't much of a sample. For all we know, some people can look at a Medusan and just start liking Neelix or voting Republican or thinking pineapple on pizza is a good idea or something.
How can you do that!
I can see bringing up Neelix and Republicans. They are mildly discomforting.
But to include that sacrilege to time, space, and pizza! Do you have no shame?!
:lol:
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

While not everyone is going to react to experiences in exactly the same way, would you agree that, if you kept a person locked in a dark room for ten years, where they were constantly tortured with fire and needles, while being denied any human contact, that they'd come out at the end with their sanity in shambles?

I think the idea is that looking at a Medusan for even a single second causes as much suffering as all those ten years of torture put together.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 pm I am genuinely struggling to think of a single prominent non-humanoid alien beyond TOS besides 8472. The producers just did not want to bother with anything more than rubber foreheads.
Not prominent, but there's the Sheliak which I always liked from a design standpoint.

Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 pm I am genuinely struggling to think of a single prominent non-humanoid alien beyond TOS besides 8472. The producers just did not want to bother with anything more than rubber foreheads.
There are a couple, most of them are only either name-dropped or only appear in one episode, like the Sheliak. The ones that are ~more~ prominent are the Changelings (DS9, d'uh), the Crystalline Entity (TNG: "Datalore", "Silicon Avatar" and "Inheritence"), the Edosians (TAS), jahSepp (STD, part of that space fungus), the aquatic and insectoid Xindi, technically that "Silver Blood" from the demon-planet (VOY: "Demon" and "Course: Oblivion"), as well as the Trill-symbiote and Q.

Your point still stands though. But non-humanoids are kinda expensive to make, even in CGI.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

I thought that perhaps Miranda, due to being a telepath who practices Vulcan discipline, might have somehow been subconsciously influencing the men around her to find her attractive- her repressed romantic side leaking out unintentionally- and that was why the engineer and to a lesser degree Kirk went kind of crazy around her.

But...nope. She really was just the Helen of Troy of the episode for some reason, it seems.

The Enterprise-D should have been more careful when they hired Pulanski. Riker might have blown the ship up over her beauty at any moment.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Two things just occured to me:

1) Human telepath. Huh.
2) Sensor net to replace eyesight, in times of TOS. Huh.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox