The Nexus in ST Generations.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

The Nexus in ST Generations.

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I just re-watched much of Star Trek Generations, and it occurred to me how the Nexus in that film is also something that can possibly be read as a cynical view of "Heaven".

I've always liked the scene after Kirk makes that jump with the Horse, saying how it terrified him every-time but just now because he knew it wasn't real. And that's why it's important to me to stress that the real "Heaven" is this world as it was meant to be not some alternate realm where there is only spirit and no physicality.

I think in the New Heaven and New Earth it would be possible to fail to make that jump, and that doing so would hurt, a lot. It's just that there is no risk of death.

Now you may think "that's not taking literally the "No Pain" in Revelation 21:4", the Greek word used there is "Ponos" which the Strongs (Number 4192) says more accurately means "Anguish" or "Toil", it's root is "Penes" (number 3993) which is often translated "Poor". So I think a specific type of "Pain" is what's meant there.

The only other times "Ponos" is used is in Revelation 16:10-11, where the context is the "Pain" the Kingdom of the beast experiences when it is covered in Darkness after the Fifth Bowl is poured out. I'm honestly starting to think maybe this word should be translated "Poverty". Also the word translated "Sores" in Revelation 16 is elsewhere in Scripture used only in Luke 16:20-21 talking about the Beggar Lazaurs.
[url]https://midseventiethweekrapture.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-slice-of-tree-of-life.html[/url]
Call me KuudereKun
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Nexus in ST Generations.

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

SF Debris Video Reviews section...
..What mirror universe?
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

There are a lot of things I'd consider flaws in that movie, but insufficient adherence to Christian religious orthodoxy is not one of them.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 am There are a lot of things I'd consider flaws in that movie, but insufficient adherence to Christian religious orthodoxy is not one of them.
I'm not saying it's a flaw, I love the movie.
Call me KuudereKun
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

You have strange taste if you un-ironically like that train wreck of ST movie.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:27 pm SF Debris Video Reviews section...
On the one hand I agree, on the other there is no Generations thread. Or at least, not one that isn't ancient.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:31 pm You have strange taste if you un-ironically like that train wreck of ST movie.
I think there are a lot of good things about Generations. For one, its not Nemesis, The Slow Motion Picture, any of the Kelvin atrocities, Star Trek Discovery or Star Trek Teen Titans.

I think it has one of the best soundtracks of any Trek film, I liked Kirk being introspective about what a mistake he made about becoming an admiral, I liked the stellar cartography room, I liked Soran - who is officially the most successful Star Trek villain of all time. He managed to kill both a main captain and the main ship AND MADE IT STICK - no other baddie can claim that.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 pm I just re-watched much of Star Trek Generations, and it occurred to me how the Nexus in that film is also something that can possibly be read as a cynical view of "Heaven".

I've always liked the scene after Kirk makes that jump with the Horse, saying how it terrified him every-time but just now because he knew it wasn't real. And that's why it's important to me to stress that the real "Heaven" is this world as it was meant to be not some alternate realm where there is only spirit and no physicality.

I think in the New Heaven and New Earth it would be possible to fail to make that jump, and that doing so would hurt, a lot. It's just that there is no risk of death.

Now you may think "that's not taking literally the "No Pain" in Revelation 21:4", the Greek word used there is "Ponos" which the Strongs (Number 4192) says more accurately means "Anguish" or "Toil", it's root is "Penes" (number 3993) which is often translated "Poor". So I think a specific type of "Pain" is what's meant there.

The only other times "Ponos" is used is in Revelation 16:10-11, where the context is the "Pain" the Kingdom of the beast experiences when it is covered in Darkness after the Fifth Bowl is poured out. I'm honestly starting to think maybe this word should be translated "Poverty". Also the word translated "Sores" in Revelation 16 is elsewhere in Scripture used only in Luke 16:20-21 talking about the Beggar Lazaurs.
[url]https://midseventiethweekrapture.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-slice-of-tree-of-life.html[/url]
Heaven would be a very boring place depending on your personality. Where's the fun in knowing that you have absolute safety all the time? That would completely destroy the point of any high-octane sport to name one example.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

JaredMithrandir

I'm a Christian, I believe The Bible is the Inspired Infallible Inherent Word of God, I'm an Evangelical Universalist and a Libertarian Communist. I teach that The Bible does not condemn Homosexuality. And I'm a Nerd and Otaku. On my blogs don't hesitate to leave comments on old posts.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

What heaven actually would be is a great deal of speculation that I think Star Trek would never attempt to cover. I'm not really sure where one gets the idea that heaven in Star Trek would entail pain, suffering, and poverty since that's not really our own understanding of it or something. There's not really much support OP gives us, but some biblical etymologies of the word poor and pain. Star Trek is big on steering people away from irrational concepts like heaven, so the big idea in the movie is that Picard has to convince Kirk that it's not really heaven. Kirk has the distinguishing trait that he's never been duked by the hallucinations that affect Spock, Bones, or the rest of the crew, but he sure has here for some reason. So we have to learn that something spectacular such as this that even fooled Kirk is not heaven but simply a space anomaly.

I like about Star Trek Generations that it is an episode on steroids, which I don't feel that kind of distinction with other show adaptations. It might be because this was my first exposure to Star Trek as a sit-down experience, but the story just feels scattered in pacing, and it's like everybody was still in the mindset of making an episode. Very unlike First Contact. Of course it did have the sound stage of a movie, like the Power Ranger first movie did, but it also just feels so out of their league.
..What mirror universe?