Nazis and the Nature of Evil

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Nazis and the Nature of Evil

Post by Yukaphile »

How? It's my feeling. Once you've crossed that line, you should go celibate. Especially since most don't report and they don't have the nerve to turn themselves in.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 pm
um, no, serial killers don't turn feelings of guilt into anger, they are incapable of feeling guilt in the first place.
You are thinking of psychopaths.

Not all serial killers are psychopaths, and most psychopaths are not serial killers. There are indeed serial killers who are capable of guilt and turn it into anger against their victims.

Also, there are "levels" of guilt and empathy that affect this, and different types of empathy.

Paranoid, Borderline and sociopathic people for instance are all capable of guilt in a limited sense, but they often find it uncomfortable and project it outward.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 am How? It's my feeling. Once you've crossed that line, you should go celibate. Especially since most don't report and they don't have the nerve to turn themselves in.
And it's incredibly unfounded and not pertinent to the matter.
Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:12 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 pm
um, no, serial killers don't turn feelings of guilt into anger, they are incapable of feeling guilt in the first place.
You are thinking of psychopaths.

Not all serial killers are psychopaths, and most psychopaths are not serial killers. There are indeed serial killers who are capable of guilt and turn it into anger against their victims.

Also, there are "levels" of guilt and empathy that affect this, and different types of empathy.

Paranoid, Borderline and sociopathic people for instance are all capable of guilt in a limited sense, but they often find it uncomfortable and project it outward.
I think he is squarely trying to peg serial killers, and not people with a certain kind of psychological condition.
..What mirror universe?
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:12 pm
I think he is squarely trying to peg serial killers, and not people with a certain kind of psychological condition.
Yes, but all of those personality disorders I've mentioned can be serial killers too, was my larger point.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's very telling in our society how serial killers are considered worse than the everyday criminal joe who molests and rapes his child, despite how common it is. I HATE that, and that they don't put in the hard work needed for true redemption, and if people found out, they would take his side! "Oh, that was a mistake, he's changed his ways, can't you let the past rest?" Tell that to his victims. They face permanent lifelong problems and despite even those who manage to recover, they never forget. It stays with them, that's how bad it is. It's truly the worst thing you can do to somebody. We all die. Murder is just speeding it up, unless there's torture involved. Sexual domination and violence doesn't happen to everyone, so that makes it a billion times worse when it does.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:17 pm
Yes, but all of those personality disorders I've mentioned can be serial killers too, was my larger point.
every serial killer I've heard of is incapable of guilt or remorse. there's only one exception I can think of that seems genuine and not an act, Edmund Kemper.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:50 pm
every serial killer I've heard of is incapable of guilt or remorse. there's only one exception I can think of that seems genuine and not an act, Edmund Kemper.
That kind of puts a chink in the armor of your whole theory here.
..What mirror universe?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:50 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:50 pm
That kind of puts a chink in the armor of your whole theory here.
like I said, it was just that one killer and maybe I am not totally convinced it was genuine there on second thought.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

also, thinking about it, I can accept that it can be about taking out anger at the world of their upbringing but it is just as much about them literally not being able to feel guilt or compassion.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I think an underlying contention here was that morality is distinctly some compulsory system of behavior that one either has or does not. There's certainly people that respond to it in fashion that DBF has put forth, but it is not defined by such parameters.

Of course that's often not necessarily the precise construct that DBF is strongly trying to suggest intentionally, but that tends to be the sentiment that a lot of people regard for people that do horrible things, Hitler being the furthest thing from an exception. And I admittedly do have a hard time separating that from their take on the matter.
..What mirror universe?