Miniseries: The Colour of Magic

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jadenova
Officer

Re: Miniseries: The Colour of Magic

Post by jadenova »

1) When is part two coming out?

2) I think the biggest tragedy of Terry Pratchett's death is that he had his notes for future books destroyed. He was taking his series in a new direction that I would have loved to see another writer handle.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

jadenova wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:12 am 1) When is part two coming out?

2) I think the biggest tragedy of Terry Pratchett's death is that he had his notes for future books destroyed. He was taking his series in a new direction that I would have loved to see another writer handle.
Last I heard, his daughter (a writer herself, but in games and in journalism) has said Discworld ended with Terry Pratchett's death. There's fanfic, of course, and I imagine some of it is pretty good.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

So unlike some (*cough*Brian Herbert) she was able to let series end with death of her father who had created it instead of dragging it on and on.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

jadenova wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:12 am 2) I think the biggest tragedy of Terry Pratchett's death is that he had his notes for future books destroyed. He was taking his series in a new direction that I would have loved to see another writer handle.
I am fairly certain that both Snuff and Raising Steam were ghost-written with both his notes and as much active support as he could manage given his health. They were both terrible.
Cheerilee
Redshirt

Post by Cheerilee »

An un-subtle theme of "The Shepherd's Crown" (Terry Pratchett's last book) was that Terry had to go, and stewardship of the Discworld was being left to his daughter, and that it might be worse in some ways under her, but it might be better in others, and that's life and Rhianna has Terry's enthusiastic endorsement.

Unfortunately, Rhianna chose not to take Terry up on his passing of the torch. Which is ENTIRELY understandable. But Terry seems to have wanted Rhianna to create a "Discworld 2.0" of sorts.

Or at least that's what I read into the story.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Independent George wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm
jadenova wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:12 am 2) I think the biggest tragedy of Terry Pratchett's death is that he had his notes for future books destroyed. He was taking his series in a new direction that I would have loved to see another writer handle.
I am fairly certain that both Snuff and Raising Steam were ghost-written with both his notes and as much active support as he could manage given his health. They were both terrible.
I found Snuff worse. None of the characters and settings and descriptions felt right. Raising Steam was a bit better in that regard even though the story wasn't great.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Cheerilee wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:39 pm An un-subtle theme of "The Shepherd's Crown" (Terry Pratchett's last book) was that Terry had to go, and stewardship of the Discworld was being left to his daughter, and that it might be worse in some ways under her, but it might be better in others, and that's life and Rhianna has Terry's enthusiastic endorsement.

Unfortunately, Rhianna chose not to take Terry up on his passing of the torch. Which is ENTIRELY understandable. But Terry seems to have wanted Rhianna to create a "Discworld 2.0" of sorts.

Or at least that's what I read into the story.
I'd got the impression (and I've no idea why) that she wasn't going to write any new books but we might've seen spinoff TV series and so on. But there's also something to be said for leaving alone; it can't ever be the same and sadly all good things must come to an end.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Riedquat wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:10 am I found Snuff worse. None of the characters and settings and descriptions felt right. Raising Steam was a bit better in that regard even though the story wasn't great.
I like to pretend that I Shall Wear Midnight was the last Discworld book, because it's really one of Pratchett's best. I could never bring myself to finish Raising Steam or The Shepherd's Crown. They were so genuinely terrible that it felt like a desecration. Something as monumental as bidding farewell to Granny deserved better than it got.
Cheerilee
Redshirt

Post by Cheerilee »

Riedquat wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:12 am I'd got the impression (and I've no idea why) that she wasn't going to write any new books but we might've seen spinoff TV series and so on. But there's also something to be said for leaving alone; it can't ever be the same and sadly all good things must come to an end.
Yeah, Rhianna Pratchett owns Discworld now, and she said that she doesn't want to write any books for it, nor allow anyone else to do it. Her late father's works are to be enshrined, and she'll maintain the shrine.

But Terry apparently said that he wanted the Discworld to continue, with new books, written by Rhianna.

And by my reading, "The Shepherd's Crown" was one giant letter to Rhianna, asking her to do it. It basically tackled such arguments head-on, saying that it's not supposed to stay the same, and that nothing has to end, not when you have a new generation able to pick up your torch and carry it forward. Sure, she's going to stumble and fall, but Terry himself did that more times than he can count, and he's 100% confident that he's not only given Rhianna everything she needs to continue the story, but that she can elevate it to new heights.

But, Terry was probably asking too much of his daughter. And leaving the Discworld to her, with 100% confidence in her decisions, means that by definition you have to be okay with her decision to end the Discworld.
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:17 am So unlike some (*cough*Brian Herbert) she was able to let series end with death of her father who had created it instead of dragging it on and on.
This is a topic that I love and hate. Dune lost all its magic under Brian Herbert that I agree with the decision to destroy Terry Pratchett's unfinished novels and just let the series end. HOWEVER I would have have been FURIOUS if JRR Tolkien told his son to burn all his unfinished work after his death. Since The Silmarillion was Tolkien's Magnum Opus, I was so happy that both father and son had an agreement that the book NEEDED to be finished. At the very least I think Christopher Tolkien was very smart to just publish his father's work and not attempt to create new stories (until Middle Earth becomes public domain).