Truly bizarre NRA ad...

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Truly bizarre NRA ad...

Post by Steve »

Agent Vinod wrote: What is the alt right?
Others can explain this term, or you can look it up if you're eager to learn more on the subject. I have decided to withdraw from any further discussion in this thread to avoid issues should I need to step in using my official capacity.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

He's probably being at least somewhat rhetorical, as the term is essentially being used interchangeably with Nazis, with pretty much the same basis of "they disagree with me, therefore..."
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Admiral X wrote:He's probably being at least somewhat rhetorical, as the term is essentially being used interchangeably with Nazis, with pretty much the same basis of "they disagree with me, therefore..."
I honestly don't there is an answer for the question. Maybe there will be in a couple of years.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I doubt it. The way GamerGate has been treated illustrates that wonderfully.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Admiral X wrote:I doubt it. The way GamerGate has been treated illustrates that wonderfully.
GamerGate didn't start out that bad, but it did end up being manipulated by neo-Nazi types. Kind of the problem with being a leaderless movement.

I'm guessing whatever semi-legitimate points the "alt-right" had have long since been tainted.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

GandALF wrote:
Admiral X wrote:I doubt it. The way GamerGate has been treated illustrates that wonderfully.
GamerGate didn't start out that bad, but it did end up being manipulated by neo-Nazi types. Kind of the problem with being a leaderless movement.

I'm guessing whatever semi-legitimate points the "alt-right" had have long since been tainted.
Since its leaderless how do you know how much Nazi control is there?
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Agent Vinod wrote:
GandALF wrote:

Since its leaderless how do you know how much Nazi control is there?
Well there's no leadership that can reject them. One of GamerGate's more rational goals was to prevent politically correct censorship of games, Nazis are more interested in being politically incorrect and are ultimately pro-censorship (just not in the same way), so the two contradictory goals began competing with each other and it became more of mess than it already was.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

GandALF wrote:

When the alt-right first turned up I'm not even sure they had a point. They presented themselves as the "alternative to mainstream conservatism" in the US and appeared to be an off-shoot of 4chan's /pol/ board moving into social media.

Pol is something like 95% edgy teens and young adults being politically incorrect as possible for fun and provoking outrage. 5% actual racists that aren't in on the joke. They've been pretty good at manipulating mainstream left wing media in the recent past, often in completely hilarious ways.

Also Shia LeBeoef. That's an entirely different story.

When they headed onto social media though, after a while and some media exposure they picked up a whole bunch of people who were unironically screaming about white genocide and racial purity. At which point all the trolls who were there just to provoke responses from them "normies" backed away slowly and the Alt-Right label term was essentially taken over by a bunch of serious white nationalists.

Also by the hard left who label pretty much anyone that disagrees with them as alt-right.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FuelDrop
Redshirt

Post by FuelDrop »

Has America finished descending into a dystopian third world hellhole yet? I hear that there are places over there where you can't even get clean water!

On a related note, if you are looking to flee America, we in Australia will welcome you with open arms. Just leave your guns and other craziness back over there, and don't insult any of the local AFL teams until you have a feel for the place and you should do just fine.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

FuelDrop wrote:Has America finished descending into a dystopian third world hellhole yet? I hear that there are places over there where you can't even get clean water!
And why Shiva's Green Hell would that happen?