Short Treks - "Runaway"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Short Treks - "Runaway"

Post by Makeshift Python »

You'd have to be a pretty miserable person with a heart that's colored obsidian black to think Tilly is an annoying character.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

Archanubis wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:21 am Personally, I watched four or five episodes before deciding I just couldn't get into it.
I was the same, like the in some ways similar Stargate Universe I did try to give the series a chance but just could slog through it despite in both cases people saying "it improves". Not hate towards those that liked either series just I personally did not find any "anchor" to keep me invested.

Discovery certainly should have been able to do well, it had alot going for it. Spock's adopted sister nobody ever heard of serving under one of the greatest Starfleet Captains nobody ever heard of going before committing mutiny and getting her Captain killed in the kick-off of the Klingon War that would nearly destroy the Federation that nobody ever heard, serving aboard an experimental ship nobody ever heard of that could save the Federation. Just unfortunately they didn't do anything with any of it, the characters are all unlikable, the Klingon War they barely bothered with until they just gave up all pretense of caring, any characters slightly interesting get not great stories, and whatever plots come up all kinda suck.

Its a little funny, despite trying to mimic the Kelvinverse in looks (but far far worse), they continue that Star Trek tradition of having a somewhat interesting premise and completely wasting it. The Klingon War should have been very interesting but wound up being about as interesting as the formation of Starfleet/the Federation or a Starfleet ship stranded on the other end of the galaxy with a mixed crew of Starfleet and terrorists.

I will say though, I like Tilly. She is one of the few characters I actually enjoyed seeing, the other being Saru but then I like cows so not shocking. She was not all dark and dreary and was infectiously likable. I didn't see her as some Mary Sue, Wesley Crusher type.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Chuck's biggest issue with Discovery seems to be Michael. He doesn't care that much about her and since the show focuses so much on her to the exclusion of everyone else, his opinion of the show seems to be, yeah, pretty meh.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 am You'd have to be a pretty miserable person with a heart that's colored obsidian black to think Tilly is an annoying character.
I like her, but I do think sometimes they take her character across the line of believability. I keep hoping they find the right spot for her, because she's great when she works, and painful to watch when she doesn't.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 am You'd have to be a pretty miserable person with a heart that's colored obsidian black to think Tilly is an annoying character.
That doesn't make as much sense as you think it does.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I guess that's why Chuck was so kind to this one. It was all about Tilly.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Face it, man, Tilly is so good.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Hey hands off those medical reports!
=^_^=

Honestly only seen her in STO and reviews here. And the snippets seem like she is a heartwarming type of character. I am still debating getting CBS All Access to watch this and then Picard. . . :?
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

The first season of the show was an okay season of Battlestar Galactica, but it wasn't Star Trek.

The second season was a lot better, and had they started at that level I think we'd all be digging the show now, but as is that first season baggage is rough and impossible to get past. Like, TNG had a bad first season but it was *only* bad and cheesy, it wasn't actively offputting and upsetting.

And Tilly is fine. She's a little annoying in her first few episodes but she grows pretty quickly and becomes likeable. Comparing her at all to Neelix is ridiculously harsh.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:02 pm The second season was a lot better, and had they started at that level I think we'd all be digging the show now, but as is that first season baggage is rough and impossible to get past. Like, TNG had a bad first season but it was *only* bad, it wasn't offputting.
That's one of the major drawbacks of having such a heavily serialized show. TNG could get away from its early mistakes because they were episodes that didn't matter. You can't ever do that when everything matters, like it does on Discovery: a single bad episode can taint a good plot if it contains something pivotal but stupid; even well-written developments fall apart when they hinge on that earlier stupidity. Discovery had more than just one of these mistakes, and so after it improves it still struggles because it's dragging all of that awfulness forward on display every episode instead of being able to leave it behind.