The Shadow's Journey

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Re: The Shadow's Journey

Post by ScreamingDoom »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:I'm not gonna sit through a whole "Lucas turned the Dark Side by making the Prequels" narrative.
Eh? The series is about The Empire Strikes Back, not the prequels.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:I'm not gonna sit through a whole "Lucas turned the Dark Side by making the Prequels" narrative.
OK. If I ever see one, I'll be sure to let you know. :D

But seriously, when I eventually do the prequels, I plan to continue doing what I am, which is to try to present an honest assessment of the man and his work, warts and all. I've only written about 15% of it, but I have already planned to lay out what I feel are a list of unfair assertions about the man Lucas was as he made the prequels and attempt to demonstrate why these are wrong. At the same time, I will speak frankly about where Lucas stumbled.

I'm doing this series because I found it fascinating to look at everything that happened from the creation of Lucasfilm to Disney tossing away his sequel trilogy plans, that the life of George Lucas reflects his creation in some ways, and to see this juxtaposition of quirks, his flaws and fixations alongside his creativity and decency. To just see it all lying there, stretched out from end to end and ask, what does this all mean? What is it about, if your life is all about making a company to create film, but having your life be defined by your company?

The Shadow's Journey is about these early years of success, when Lucas was dazzled by what he had in his hands and fell into the temptation of exploring it while ignoring the collateral effect it was having. It covers the Empire Strikes Back-Return of the Jedi years, and the argument that could be made that his own pride and need for control are responsible for the disasters that happen. This covers six years. The next covers more than thirty; there's not as much drama once you've made some mistakes and learned from them.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

The Prequels are the only reason I care about Star Wars.
Call me KuudereKun
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

SFDebris wrote:
OK. If I ever see one, I'll be sure to let you know. :D

But seriously, when I eventually do the prequels, I plan to continue doing what I am, which is to try to present an honest assessment of the man and his work, warts and all. I've only written about 15% of it, but I have already planned to lay out what I feel are a list of unfair assertions about the man Lucas was as he made the prequels and attempt to demonstrate why these are wrong. At the same time, I will speak frankly about where Lucas stumbled.

I'm doing this series because I found it fascinating to look at everything that happened from the creation of Lucasfilm to Disney tossing away his sequel trilogy plans, that the life of George Lucas reflects his creation in some ways, and to see this juxtaposition of quirks, his flaws and fixations alongside his creativity and decency. To just see it all lying there, stretched out from end to end and ask, what does this all mean? What is it about, if your life is all about making a company to create film, but having your life be defined by your company?

The Shadow's Journey is about these early years of success, when Lucas was dazzled by what he had in his hands and fell into the temptation of exploring it while ignoring the collateral effect it was having. It covers the Empire Strikes Back-Return of the Jedi years, and the argument that could be made that his own pride and need for control are responsible for the disasters that happen. This covers six years. The next covers more than thirty; there's not as much drama once you've made some mistakes and learned from them.
And your work is very much appreciated and loved :)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
SeldomAlways
Redshirt

Post by SeldomAlways »

I have been enjoying this series so much, I just had to register and leave some praise. I am not sure if there are any written sources but I am sure I am not alone in asking if you have any recommendations for further reading.

Seriously stellar work. Been enjoying your content since I found posts linking to it on stardestroyer.net long ago but the quality and level of detail you pour into the writing is on a different level.

I especially enjoy the human drama that unfolds and how it left imprints on the final films. Who knew that it would shape the imaginations of so many!
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

As a patreon supporter I've seen last episode, so I want to save my comments for when everyone has had a chance to complete the series.

In my opinion though this is some of Chuck's best work. Even as a Star Wars affectionado there's so much behind the scenes drama I was unaware of. It's very own Shakespearean tale and so very well researched.

I'm sure I'll be linking this to other Star Wars fans a great many times in the future.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

GL and his spin doctoring always came off as more, Himself trying to tell himself that he's in control and less about persuading other people he was on the ball.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Maybe the tide has already turned somewhat, but I think public opinion will eventually tip back in Lucas' favor. He certainly won't be seen as a guy who did no wrong, but most should come to appreciate everything he did for the franchise (and beyond the franchise, through ILM and LucasArts).

And frankly, I think some mediocre, by-the-numbers Star Wars (hopefully not the current trilogy) in the future is going to cause some people to miss Lucas. Say what you will about Lucas selling out, but was a well-read guy who wanted to explore big ideas and break new ground. The fact that a bunch of copycat films are formulaic and soulless has caused too many critics to assume that Star Wars was the same. Of course, Chuck does a good job demonstrating that the franchise wasn't created as a soulless money-making proposition. There was artistic vision there (albeit not as well thought out as Lucas would later claim).

So you can argue that the PT was a failure, but it wasn't a failure in imagination or ambition. In my opinion the sequel trilogy will outshine the prequels in most ways, but so far I have my doubts that it will expound upon the universe's mythology and philosophy in a truly challenging and intelligent way.
The owls are not what they seem.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:Maybe the tide has already turned somewhat, but I think public opinion will eventually tip back in Lucas' favor. He certainly won't be seen as a guy who did no wrong, but most should come to appreciate everything he did for the franchise (and beyond the franchise, through ILM and LucasArts).

And frankly, I think some mediocre, by-the-numbers Star Wars (hopefully not the current trilogy) in the future is going to cause some people to miss Lucas. Say what you will about Lucas selling out, but was a well-read guy who wanted to explore big ideas and break new ground. The fact that a bunch of copycat films are formulaic and soulless has caused too many critics to assume that Star Wars was the same. Of course, Chuck does a good job demonstrating that the franchise wasn't created as a soulless money-making proposition. There was artistic vision there (albeit not as well thought out as Lucas would later claim).

So you can argue that the PT was a failure, but it wasn't a failure in imagination or ambition. In my opinion the sequel trilogy will outshine the prequels in most ways, but so far I have my doubts that it will expound upon the universe's mythology and philosophy in a truly challenging and intelligent way.
It has been said many times and still is true: As long as Lucas is in full control and can do whatever he wants to, he will start meddling everywhere and eventually start to ruin the project bit by bit. What Lucas needs is someone or something that puts him into his place and keeps him from interfering everywhere.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:Maybe the tide has already turned somewhat, but I think public opinion will eventually tip back in Lucas' favor. He certainly won't be seen as a guy who did no wrong, but most should come to appreciate everything he did for the franchise (and beyond the franchise, through ILM and LucasArts).
Personally, I think he'll be regarded in the same manner Gene Roddenberry is today: a good "ideas man," but not that great of a writer.