DIS - Brother

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: DIS - Brother

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Umm who is Discovery made for?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:26 pm Umm who is Discovery made for?
I think they probably wanted the fans of earlier series on board while getting a new, younger audience watching, too. I think that was also the plan for Enterprise...
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Then why is it they don't have races like vulcans, or andorians? Why aren't the uniform coloe coded like the original, why isn't it about exploring?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Given the lack of respect (and knowledge even) they seem to have of anything prior to Abrams Trek, I doubt if they cared much either way about existing fans. So many things made in the last few years seem to be more about catering to followers of a particular ideology, with the perception apparently being that these people actually represent some kind of majority. Apparently this hasn't actually worked, because if it had, you can bet they'd be crowing about their numbers instead of hiding them.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:18 pm Then why is it they don't have races like vulcans, or andorians? Why aren't the uniform coloe coded like the original, why isn't it about exploring?
I think they thought fans of older Trek were going to watch it pretty much regardless of what they had in it. That's me on very shaky ground, speculation-wise; the best evidence I have for it is from an interview with the actor who played Captain Lorca:
"I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans." Isaacs revealed. "I only 'don’t care' about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway (emphasis mine). I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other."
That's only from an actor, not a producer or writer, so take it with a grain of salt.

But I think getting new fans to watch is probably more important to them. Old trekkies like myself aren't as valuable a viewing demographic as young adults are. If they think making it Games of Thrones In Space will pull in young adults, they'll probably do that. But I might be wrong about this, too, given the launch of the Picard series, but maybe STD is doing well with newer fans and they think Picard will get the old-school fans.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I doubt STP will be any more successful than STD has been based on what I've seen of it so far.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I do got to asked, is having star trek only on a streaming service wise?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:44 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:18 pm Then why is it they don't have races like vulcans, or andorians? Why aren't the uniform coloe coded like the original, why isn't it about exploring?
I think they thought fans of older Trek were going to watch it pretty much regardless of what they had in it. That's me on very shaky ground, speculation-wise; the best evidence I have for it is from an interview with the actor who played Captain Lorca:
"I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans." Isaacs revealed. "I only 'don’t care' about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway (emphasis mine). I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other."
That's only from an actor, not a producer or writer, so take it with a grain of salt.
I would say that that's only one actor's opinion and it doesn't reflect opinions of anyone else involved but there is whole thing that he wasn't punished from saying that which does give impression that at least some others involved and those in charge might share that opinion. Not that that might mean anything mind you but still.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:07 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:44 pm
I would say that that's only one actor's opinion and it doesn't reflect opinions of anyone else involved but there is whole thing that he wasn't punished from saying that which does give impression that at least some others involved and those in charge might share that opinion. Not that that might mean anything mind you but still.

I agree with you completely on all of that. (I should write down the date :) )
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

To build off earlier points, as somebody who DOES identify as Feminist, and believes in mansplaining, that scene just rubs me the wrong way, and what clearspira says is probably true, but as Darth would tell you, that's just speculation. Probably safe to conclude, maybe not.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords