DIS - Brother

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Actarus
Officer

Re: DIS - Brother

Post by Actarus »

Nealithi wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:10 am Okay so I am going to put a few things in here.

Why is Pike in gold but every other star fleet uniform is the blue jumpsuit? Not saying I do not like it. But I would like to know.

This got me to go back to the review of the Vulcan Hello. And the discussion broke down into hating on the new Trek. But I noticed something and wanted to mention it. Aboard the klingon vessel with the wrapped up dead guy. He had a device on his head. Recall Star Trek IV quizzing Spock. That is a klingon mummification glyph. And clearly the klingons here were mummifying this warrior. Now Worf says the body is just a shell. But there are rituals with that shell. Like guarding it against predators till the soul reaches Stovokor. So there is some concern for the bodies of the dead. It may just be different religions on Qo'nos?

As to the bit with the pod in this episode. . . Sorry I have to go to STO again. They had some scenes with pre-swap Lorca. And one of his crew in danger? He drops his gun in a fire fight to get her out of rubble. And leaving one behind. "That. Is not how we operate, Commander." I felt that summed up the ideal of Star Fleet to me and the feel of Star Trek. We do what is right, and figure out how to succeed with the moral high ground. And that is Michael rescuing Pike. Do what is right. Because that is what the ideal is for. Just my two cents.
Pike is in gold because that is the new uniform. That is Discovery's take on the uniforms we are seeing in TOS. His science officer is in blue, and his security officer is in red. She even wears the skirt. And she's a Barzan (first seen in TNG). Nice find about the mummification glyph. I forgot about that.

I thought this episode was a good start for Season 2. It introduced great new characters. Pike is handsomely played by Anson Mount. Tig Notaro's Jet Reno has instantly become one of my favorite characters. And as Chuck I am pleased at the improvements they have made to secondary characters, fleshing them up a little. Kaela Detmer and Owosekhun have a nice chemistry. They also gave a nice background to Owo (that we learn in the next episode). I also liked the touch of humour.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Well, a belated thank you to those who answered my question. I can't see this more optimistic tone myself, but then, like I said, I've only seen two episodes, and Chuck's reviews. For me, I think this change in tone is just too little, too late. The show is just too wrapped around a character I believe has no business wearing a Starfleet uniform, even divorcing Michael from my feelings about her being shoehorned into Spock's family. She assaulted her Captain, because she was panicking. Nothing she has done since convinced me that she should ever see the outside of a prison again.

I think for me to ever even begin to warm to this series, the bear minimum requirement would be an admission that this is a reboot, not directly connected to Star Trek canon. I just cannot accept things like the KINOs, the tech being all wrong, or Harry Mudd gleefully slaughtering Lorca over and over again, and still buy that this is part of the original Timeline. I forgive the Kelvin Timeline movies for some of these things, but they come with a built in admission of being a reboot. So I can enjoy them as something separate. But STD wants to pretend to be part of the original Timeline, and yet treat continuity as something to ignore. I can ignore minor continuity flaws for the sake of a good story, but not to this degree. And well, I see no evidence of a good story that would make me overlook these things.

So, maybe if by season 3, they admitted it was a reboot, I could give it a third chance. But this won't happen.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, I mean, even in the 31st century, they're going to have to overcome the serious baggage caused by shoving a PC Mary Sue into the lead role.

I agree. I want them to ADMIT they made this when all they had experience with were the reboots. I've said that over and over.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:59 pm I do got to asked, is having star trek only on a streaming service wise?
Plenty of popular shows are only on streaming services these days, and Trek has become a part of that.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Admiral X wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:33 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:27 pm Two things stood out on the negative side - the science officer dying (to show where disagreeing with Michael gets you? But I might be reading too much into it)
Considering all the usual suspects were cheering about how the "mansplainer" got killed, no, I'd say that was entirely intentional on the part of the writers. Especially given how he was for basically his entire time on screen, and stuff like him getting sneezed on. Basically they made him an assmonkey on purpose and for all their protests that Michael totally isn't a Sue, they helped to bolster the fact that she was with this character and his death. :lol:
And he looked like Paul Ryan.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Actarus wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm
Nealithi wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:10 am Okay so I am going to put a few things in here.

Why is Pike in gold but every other star fleet uniform is the blue jumpsuit? Not saying I do not like it. But I would like to know.
Pike is in gold because that is the new uniform. That is Discovery's take on the uniforms we are seeing in TOS. His science officer is in blue, and his security officer is in red. She even wears the skirt. And she's a Barzan (first seen in TNG). Nice find about the mummification glyph. I forgot about that.
I actually do like how uniforms in show look like those make sense compared to original TOS versions and something that Starfleet officers might actually wear if Starfleet was real.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm
Actarus wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm

I actually do like how uniforms in show look like those make sense compared to original TOS versions and something that Starfleet officers might actually wear if Starfleet was real.
I don't watch the show but a previous comment made allusion to the skirt having returned. I posit that there will be no point in history beyond our own in which the miniskirt will ever make a return as daywear in the military - and please no one tell me that Starfleet is not military because STD has killed that idea greater than any series since DS9. It is very clear that only season 1-2 TNG truly believes that nonsense.
This is especially true after we saw in ENT that the skirt is gone, we see at the start of STD that the skirt is gone, but now it has returned for no credible in-universe reason. Of all things that have aged terribly from TOS it is the uniforms. This is good canon to overwrite, over say, making the Klingons looks like orcs or rewriting the speed of warp travel or turning the Mirror Universe humans into a race of mole people.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Personally I feel the old uniform while goofy at both uniquely Star Trek but make it visibly more interesting.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

BunBun299 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:04 am Well, a belated thank you to those who answered my question. I can't see this more optimistic tone myself, but then, like I said, I've only seen two episodes, and Chuck's reviews. For me, I think this change in tone is just too little, too late. The show is just too wrapped around a character I believe has no business wearing a Starfleet uniform, even divorcing Michael from my feelings about her being shoehorned into Spock's family. She assaulted her Captain, because she was panicking. Nothing she has done since convinced me that she should ever see the outside of a prison again.

I think for me to ever even begin to warm to this series, the bear minimum requirement would be an admission that this is a reboot, not directly connected to Star Trek canon. I just cannot accept things like the KINOs, the tech being all wrong, or Harry Mudd gleefully slaughtering Lorca over and over again, and still buy that this is part of the original Timeline. I forgive the Kelvin Timeline movies for some of these things, but they come with a built in admission of being a reboot. So I can enjoy them as something separate. But STD wants to pretend to be part of the original Timeline, and yet treat continuity as something to ignore. I can ignore minor continuity flaws for the sake of a good story, but not to this degree. And well, I see no evidence of a good story that would make me overlook these things.

So, maybe if by season 3, they admitted it was a reboot, I could give it a third chance. But this won't happen.
Fair reminder that Harry Mudd, even when we first met him, for all his quirks, was still a human trafficker. We have to admit he's a bit more than 'harmless scoundrel' when we honestly look at the character. Though, homicidal maniac is not what I wanted to see in the character.

As for the Klingons, again, they do get better. They feel a lot better as the show gets on. It might be far too late for you, but they really seem to be fixing their divot this season.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Regarding the Klingons, how can you not just enjoy this?

youtu.be/YZ7jQn1H5Qo