Star Trek: Into Darkness

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Post by Yukaphile »

It is sadly how our society treats this stuff. As "action" and not the science part of "science-fiction." Hell, Orci even said as much.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Enterprising wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 pm Fine though an actor Cumberbatch is, that wasn't the sort of role suited for him. Think they cast him just because they could, and he was a "name" for box office. Not actually for being the best actor for that part. They were as well making him Gary Mitchell, and going with a variation of how all that played out.
Sounds like you haven't watched SHERLOCK, because that's how he nabbed the role of Khan. In that show he displays a lot of qualities that I think were compatible for the character as depicted in TOS. I didn't actually watch the show until sometime after INTO DARKNESS and once I started I immediately recognized why they cast him as Khan. However, the problem with Khan as portrayed in the film is all in the writing, which not even Montalban could have saved on his best day. Essentially, Cumberbatch was well cast but the filmmakers misused him and the character.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:52 am It is sadly how our society treats this stuff. As "action" and not the science part of "science-fiction." Hell, Orci even said as much.
When was Trek really about the science?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Karha of Honor wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:00 am
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:52 am It is sadly how our society treats this stuff. As "action" and not the science part of "science-fiction." Hell, Orci even said as much.
Pretty much. As a show it focuses more on social introspection. Part of the appeal of TOS my mom said was that it wasn't about the gadgets being focused on but the characters. They used the scientific stuff only as much as they need to. Technobabble of course though is an aspect of over relying on scientific stuff.
..What mirror universe?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:23 pm
Pretty much. As a show it focuses more on social introspection. Part of the appeal of TOS my mom said was that it wasn't about the gadgets being focused on but the characters. They used the scientific stuff only as much as they need to. Technobabble of course though is an aspect of over relying on scientific stuff.
So, not about science.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Karha of Honor wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 pm
So, not about science.
Are you repeating yourself on purpose?
..What mirror universe?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm
So, not about science.
Sometimes i have to do it when dealing with you.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Karha of Honor wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm
So, not about science.
Sometimes i have to do it when dealing with you.
So, yes?
..What mirror universe?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:45 pm
So, yes?
Reach your conclusion.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Repeating yourself doesn't make your point seem more valid. It just makes you look stupid and arrogant.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard