Complete Voyager and First Contact/Insurrection Rewrite Fanfiction

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Complete Voyager and First Contact/Insurrection Rewrite Fanfiction

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I had another idea, as I rewatch Chuck's Voyager reviews for the umpteenth time, and am passing "The Cloud." Obviously, holodeck use is going to be limited. In fact, during my version of "The Cloud," I feel as if they'll shut down all the holodecks but one or two, to divert that energy elsewhere, and then leave the other two for tactical simulations. Chakotay will be the one to come up with that idea, and Janeway once again feels her doubts, and confides in Tuvok. Hell, maybe she has an argument with him that "episode" about giving the crew leisure activity, and in the end, finally does what he suggests. More Starfleet/Maquis tension!

And of course, no stupid "animal quest" thing. Unless the Sioux actually do perform that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Maybe, in "Eye of the Needle," I need to add more Starfleet/Maquis tension by having the Maquis wanna use the wormhole to go back in time, and not just go back in time, but refight some of their old battles, and make sure they win. Stop the colonists from getting screwed over by the treaty. Change the timeline to such an extent, it isn't necessary. A complete rewrite. Should it be a two-parter? How would you guys suggest going about this?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

If you want to do a rewrite, I would focus less on specific episodes and more on themes in order to set your version apart from the series proper more. As for two-parters or story arcs, it's a matter of how much you want to restrict yourself. Like, do you want to pretend like you've traveled back to when the show actually started and they just put you in charge instead of B&B and thus have the same restrictions put on them by the studio? Or do you just want to write the show as best you can and ignore any restriction UPN might have put on the show?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:02 am And of course, no stupid "animal quest" thing. Unless the Sioux actually do perform that.
There are vision quests associated with spending time in sweat lodges or just going out to the wilderness and fasting. Something to do research on. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I'm building a general framework for this story, finally. I think I've got an overall game plan.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've got my game plan all out. I have four Word docs open on my computer. One for "information," two for transcripts, one to edit into a workable format, and another to help me construct the "timeline." I've already got something written up.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've already got the teaser and the first act to "Caretaker" revised! Wanna see, hit me up with a private message.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've come up with a few new ideas since then as I rework and tweak on Voyager. Basically, "Scorpion" could remain the same, BUUUUUUT! What if Chakotay, on his ship, finally mutinied? Janeway WILL not negotiate with the Borg, and even if she wanted to, there is a standing order from Starleet Command. As a result, she is locked up, and Chakotay takes command with many Starfleet coming over as well. Think of this as like "Worst Case Scenario." Of those who don't submit, he has them restricted to quarters and treated well. Well? Can you imagine it?
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

Obviously, my rewrite is quite a bit different since I'm not going episode-by-episode, rather I'm changing the set-up and going down an increasingly divergent path so that, by the time "Scorpion" rolls around, point-to-point comparison would be impossible.

On topic, I would be interested to see how you would write a Maquis takeover. I love "Worst Case Scenario" and I practically beg Chakotay to mutiny whenever I forced myself to sit through "Scorpion".

Switching the issue of Borg sympathies around isn't something I would do (since I just wouldn't do anything like "Scorpion") but it makes sense and fits better with their earlier characterisation (Janeway in "Prime Factors" and Chakotay in "Unity", both come to mind).
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I have a series of ideas written upon a Word doc. My approach is to try and adhere as close to canon as possible, but to adapt the best of canon here.

Wanna see the doc? Of "Caretaker" so far?