My GOD, this article is dumb... (Janeway stuff)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

My GOD, this article is dumb... (Janeway stuff)

Post by Yukaphile »

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2019/05/26/kate-mulgrew-not-sure-want-play-janeway/

Janeway was a genocidal, inconsiderate, selfish, self-centered, tyrannical lunatic who frankly seemed bipolar to explain away the inconsistencies. THIS is their role model for Rey and Burnham? THIS?! :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: My GOD, this article is dumb... (Janeway stuff)

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I always felt that Chuck's overstatement on her inconsistent command style were overstated. For me, Janeway was a mid-level ship's captain of a glorified star mapper that ended up getting roped into a massive adventure. She was way in over her head and above her paygrade but coped as best she could. That required her to be the big voice in command even if her personality was naturally more suited to being a congenial sort.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

How? All examples he pointed to, that paint an uncaring sociopath (one of THE most hard-line Prime Directive zealots that is just shocking to behold, which is ironic coming from you), self-centered (will violate it to preserve their FTL drives or to save somebody close to her, but to save whole species, insists it's how nature ends it), has been presented as a bigot (refer to "Flesh and Blood") before, but has no options to grow (because that would mean showing her in a "weak light") like Picard does (except, like, ONCE in "Latent Image"), has flip-flopped on positions more than once (alliances like in "Alliances," "Scorpion," "Flesh and Blood" again, the whole Suder thing, then her severe punishment of Tom in "Thirty Days" as well as her actions in trying to MURDER an unarmed man, a FELLOW Federation officer simply because "she's having a bad day" in "Equinox")... I mean, seriously, it's all RIGHT THERE.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Except for the fact her character is all about getting the crew home without compromising their Federation values.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

How is that appealing? She violates her own principles numerous times. That said, that may be her SINGLE biggest overarching character journey, now her think about it. The one character trait that remains consistent. :lol:
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Oh geez when you put it that way sounds like Janeway is one of those Starfleet captains that you normally see butting heads with captains like Kirk or Picard but happens to have been thrown into situation were she can do what she wants. Still she is better in her job than Archer was.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Mecha82 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:09 am Oh geez when you put it that way sounds like Janeway is one of those Starfleet captains that you normally see butting heads with captains like Kirk or Picard but happens to have been thrown into situation were she can do what she wants. Still she is better in her job than Archer was.
Talk about a low bar.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

For me, it feels pretty pointless to analyze/criticize Janeway's inconsistencies from an in-universe perspective. Ideally, audiences and critics can divorce a character and his motivations from the writer who is putting words in his mouth. Good characters have their own perspective, voice, and quirks. Unfortunately, the writing on Voyager was all too often poor, the actions of the characters arbitrarily chosen by the writers to make whatever story concocted that week work somehow.

If Walter White does something inconsistent or dictatorial, you can talk about his hypocrisy and evilness.

If Janeway does something inconsistent or dictatorial, there's a good chance that it's just a writer paying no heed to Janeway's backstory, motivation, or established traits.
The owls are not what they seem.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Wasn't Picard written inconsistently? He defends the crystalline entity, saying it's not evil, it's just feeding, comparing humans to krill. But he warns Romulans against crossing a border on a (for lack of a better word) humanitarian mission. He saves one biosphere from destruction ("Pen Pals") while watching another destroyed ("Homeward").

I think Stewart's performance covered up a few writing sins, but at least Picard lead the way up for such bald, French heroes as...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'd actually contend that Picard was in the halfway point between where DS9 went, and where Voyager went. Picard showed great compassion, but he was also dogmatic. Sisko went full-blown into the humanitarian route, and Janeway went full-blown into the dogmatism route. Either way, the whole point of this was to show off those writing this article as stupid. Janeway was hardly a role model even if you think she's consistent.