If there is a big "streaming bubble" to burst...

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

If there is a big "streaming bubble" to burst...

Post by Yukaphile »

Which do you think will be the companies to survive it? Personally, I'm betting on Amazon and Hulu. Netflix already seems like a dinosaur. It's changed in the time since we first got it, eight years ago.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Re: If there is a big "streaming bubble" to burst...

Post by Mecha82 »

I wouldn't sell Netflix short. It has brand recognition considering that it's most popular one currently so it has good chance to survive competition.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:45 am Which do you think will be the companies to survive it? Personally, I'm betting on Amazon and Hulu. Netflix already seems like a dinosaur. It's changed in the time since we first got it, eight years ago.
Why is Netflix a dinosaur exactly?

Nobody Amazons and Hulus movies yet...

Amazon can run into more trouble because it pisses of the right and the Left...

Netlfix probably gets more sympathy from politically active right wingers...

Also it's a much bigger company in terms of what it does so them spying on people can have a bigger backlash...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Netflix is shedding too much older licensed content. It lost King of the Hill (Hulu picked that up), and Everybody Loves Raymond, and so much else.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:53 pm Netflix is shedding too much older licensed content. It lost King of the Hill (Hulu picked that up), and Everybody Loves Raymond, and so much else.
The usual me and Discord friends. Could you stop with the me me me on subjects that don't really require it?

The first sentence is good enough but i fail to see why they cannot get enough hype the way they are investing also it would not surprise me if some investors would help them just so Amazon does not get to be both an entertainer on the screen and a salesman...
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Netflix didn't lose anything. You should know by now that they buy limited term licenses to stream shows lol. Naming two particular shows whose license went up is frivolous.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You can't even leave reviews on Netflix below the product anymore. Bleh.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

I bet all the current ones won't make it.

Really, only Disney has a shot...because of all the Kids.

But once there are like 12 streaming services, and everyone locks down on THEIR content...you get a big problem. Even if they are like $5 each...they will add up quick. Once you get a couple servises to see the shows you like...well, you are right back up to a ''cable bill" of like $30-$50 dollars.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Sigh... and then I'll lose access to all my shows. Really? Not even Amazon Prime won't make it? The whole series you PAID for?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The streaming bubble "bursting" assumes that human beings are that chaotic. That they can't make smart decisions. And while that might be true, I think most people are aware that they can't pay for multiple services. So really, why would something like Amazon Prime or Hulu, which are the most practical of the streaming platforms, fade away?