If there is a big "streaming bubble" to burst...

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: If there is a big "streaming bubble" to burst...

Post by Yukaphile »

Isn't streaming here to stay? Look at the "video game bubble" of the 1980s. It might have looked like it killed video games. But they came back, stronger than ever. I'm sure people said that then.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:36 am The streaming bubble "bursting" assumes that human beings are that chaotic. That they can't make smart decisions. And while that might be true, I think most people are aware that they can't pay for multiple services. So really, why would something like Amazon Prime or Hulu, which are the most practical of the streaming platforms, fade away?
Why are those the most practical?
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

The ones like Hulu and Amazon stream OTHER's programming. They have some orginal stuff, and a lot of stuff for others.

Once you get the greed company ones, they will take ALL their content and lock it behind thier service.

So if Hulu had only Hulu custom stuff..and nothing else. Would it still be a great as it is today?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And what happens to the shows you pay for on Amazon Prime?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

It would be amusing to see Netflix join Blockbuster in oblivion...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's not amusing to me. I'm deeply worried about where I'll go for sci-fi. Star Trek, and Babylon 5. I paid for Babylon 5! And where else can I watch Classic Doctor Who but Britbox?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

None of this makes any sense to me. Wouldn't it be more logical for a big company to keep their content on other streaming platforms alongside their own? You make more money that way. And only yank them once they've gotten successful? A lot of streaming sites have failed to get off the ground. And I hear STD is coming to Netflix, which will almost certainly spell the end for CBS All Access. Then again, I suppose it's also logical to pay your workers well, which they do not do either...
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Netflix and Disney+ are here to stay. They have the catalogs to back it up.

Everyone else, it will depend a lot on luck. I hope we manage to avoid the dystopia, but if we do it'll be on the other side of some hard and painful lessons.
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 am None of this makes any sense to me. Wouldn't it be more logical for a big company to keep their content on other streaming platforms alongside their own? You make more money that way. And only yank them once they've gotten successful? A lot of streaming sites have failed to get off the ground. And I hear STD is coming to Netflix, which will almost certainly spell the end for CBS All Access. Then again, I suppose it's also logical to pay your workers well, which they do not do either...
There is this weird, unfortunate tendency for businesses to demand control even at the expense of long-term profitability. They don't want a small slice of a big pie. They'd rather have a whole but smaller pie, hoping someday to just be able to buy all the pies. :/

This is why we can't have nice things.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:04 pm It would be amusing to see Netflix join Blockbuster in oblivion...
Care to elaborate...?

It has Google levels of brand recognition.
Deledrius wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:21 am Netflix and Disney+ are here to stay. They have the catalogs to back it up.

Everyone else, it will depend a lot on luck. I hope we manage to avoid the dystopia, but if we do it'll be on the other side of some hard and painful lessons.
There will be one more streamer for wild weird, rare and crazy stuff. like MUBI.

What dystopia?

There could be different brands within the streamers...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, again, why would Amazon Prime lose streaming the shows you buy? You pay for that stuff.