Beto says the quiet part out loud.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
pilight
Officer

Re: Beto says the quiet part out loud.

Post by pilight »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:19 pm
pilight wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:56 pmThis ban was signed into law (the Firearm Owners Protection Act) by that pansy-ass liberal Ronald Reagan as part of a compromise that involved reopening of interstate sales of long guns on a limited basis, legalization of ammunition shipments through the U.S. Postal Service, removal of the requirement for record keeping on sales of non-armor-piercing ammunition, and federal protection of transportation of firearms through states where possession of those firearms would otherwise be illegal. The law also significantly curtailed the ATF's latitude in enforcing regulations on gun sellers and revoked their authority to keep a registry linking non-full-auto guns with their owners.
That's quite a list right there. Anyways, was this a bad deal or something? This seems like it might be a bunch of piecemeal offerings that gun owners might otherwise not be very enthused about as part of some arrangement, but I could be wrong.
The NRA endorsed it. The big items were reining in the ATF, which had been harassing gun sellers since the Gun Control Act of 1968 (passed in the wake of the shootings of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King), and eliminating the registry. Eliminating the sales of new full-auto weapons was not seen as that big a deal, since those sales were already heavily restricted by the National Firearms Act (the so-called "Capone Law").
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Really should get rid of all of those laws, IMO.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:03 am
Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:02 am
Mecha82 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 pm That is reasonable idea to anyone sensible and who isn't under NRA's payroll. Too bad that there is lot of unreasonable people in US that think that having several guns is only way to feel safe and most politicians seem to be under NRA's payroll in order to make sure that gun manufacturers can keep making profits. After all no one has done anything even after all those mass shootings and talking about possible solutions seems to be forbidden.
If awesome home made guns could be made for the same price the Gun people would go for it.

It's not about the big gun manufacturers...
Idunno I think it'd be like brewing your own beer or something. Sure you hear stories from one or two people, but to most people it is but a legend so to speak.
Would...

You know what that is.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:37 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:03 am
Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:02 am
Mecha82 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 pm That is reasonable idea to anyone sensible and who isn't under NRA's payroll. Too bad that there is lot of unreasonable people in US that think that having several guns is only way to feel safe and most politicians seem to be under NRA's payroll in order to make sure that gun manufacturers can keep making profits. After all no one has done anything even after all those mass shootings and talking about possible solutions seems to be forbidden.
If awesome home made guns could be made for the same price the Gun people would go for it.

It's not about the big gun manufacturers...
Idunno I think it'd be like brewing your own beer or something. Sure you hear stories from one or two people, but to most people it is but a legend so to speak.
Would...

You know what that is.
My tricorder is not able to analyze the composition of your post. Perhaps there is another sample you can provide that does not emit as much interference?
Power laces... alright.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:22 pm My tricorder is not able to analyze the composition of your post. Perhaps there is another sample you can provide that does not emit as much interference?
People might give you shit for imitating an unwoke mofo like me.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

clearspira wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:52 amWait, full-auto is illegal in America? So how did the government manage that achievement despite it being some kind of God-given right to own any kind of gun you want and why can't they do that again?
Pilight has done an excellent job of breaking down how this was done legislatively. I just wanted to add that the courts have been content to sit on the sidelines because of the "common use" standard established by Heller. Basically....machine guns are not commonly used in the United States (by anyone, even the police) so the government can ban them without falling afoul of the Second Amendment. Same reasoning applies for sawed off shotguns, cane guns, various other firearm-related oddities.

Like all rights, the Second Amendment is not ABSOLUTE. There are all kinds of exceptions, and we have lots of legal ink exploring them. But, at least for the moment, it is a RIGHT, laid down next to the Right to Free Speech and the Right to Free Assembly, so we can't really mess with it too much, lest we put those other rights at risk.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Few people are really keen to challenge the full-auto restrictions. Full-auto isn't much use in hunting or sport shooting, nor is it a good choice for home defense. They're really only good, as the man said,"when you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room". That's not an argument that plays well in front of a judge.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

pilight wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:43 pm Few people are really keen to challenge the full-auto restrictions. Full-auto isn't much use in hunting or sport shooting, nor is it a good choice for home defense. They're really only good, as the man said,"when you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room". That's not an argument that plays well in front of a judge.
Steyr Aug's a bad motherfucker.
Power laces... alright.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

LittleRaven wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 pm
Like all rights, the Second Amendment is not ABSOLUTE. There are all kinds of exceptions, and we have lots of legal ink exploring them. But, at least for the moment, it is a RIGHT, laid down next to the Right to Free Speech and the Right to Free Assembly, so we can't really mess with it too much, lest we put those other rights at risk.
Seems to me that when any dipshit with a vendetta against the world can pick up a 60 bullet clip to slap into a semi-automatic and wait for the news to tell him who he hates extra hard that day to go shoot up their workplace/school/place of worship/voting booth, the rights of the marginalized are subordinate to the rights of people who will never be properly investigated for stockpiling firearms.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

There is certain part that is left out when talking about the Second Amendment. You know part about well regulated militias. Besides the Second Amendment was written long before automatic weapons were even thing and musket that had only on shot and took time to reload was latest in firearms technology. And to be fair I don't buy claim that messing with it would some how risk other two.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard