Short Treks - "Runaway"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Short Treks - "Runaway"

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 am You'd have to be a pretty miserable person with a heart that's colored obsidian black to think Tilly is an annoying character.
Agreed. Tilly is the reaction most of us would have on being in Star Trek. She's a good fan-insert character like Barclay.
Mecha82 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:27 pm To me honest I can't see how anyone can like Empress even if they like Micheal. Way she is shown and what she is shown to be capable of doesn't really give any reason to like her and her caring about Micheal won't change that. Look I am one of those that don't have issue with Micheal but I can't stand Empress.
I think the reason I like the Empress is because she's a murderous evil tyrant living in the Federation. They're not making any attempt to soften her but have put Space Azula in the traditionally heroic Star Wars. It's why I liked Gul Dukat. The fact she's on "our" side doesn't make her less dangerous but more so.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Thing about the Empress is that she did bad things due to the environment she was brought up in, where no good deed goes unpunished. Once pulled in a totally different universe with completely different dynamics, she doesn't have to be what she was in the Mirror Universe, that essentially gives her a fresh start. She may not be able to indulge as a cannibal, but that's a price she's willing to pay in order to thrive where she currently is. She was learning how adapt in that new environment, as CharlesPhipps said that doesn't make her less dangerous. Any smart person should keep their eyes on her. She may have a fresh start, but that doesn't mean she may not have ambitions.

What I'll be most curious about is what she does in the 32nd century.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

People keep calling the Empress a cannibal but to me a cannibal is one who eats fellow humans, or maybe if they are not human something else of the same species. As I recall the Empress eats Kelpiens who are not as far as I can tell human. You would need another word for eating intelligent beings... For example if it turns out dolphins or squid possess human like intelligence, I would not call people who ate them cannibals, but I would ask that they stop.

I missed the last few episodes of the first season did she eat human beings then? Or should I just adjust to the usage in this forum...

Edit: Also Voq and the other Klingons on the Ship of the Dead ate Phillipa, should we call them all cannibals? Is Tyler/Voq a cannibal by the transitive property of personality grafting?
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

They call her a cannibal because we lack a term for when one sapient being eats another who is not a member of their own species. Cannibal is as close as we can get to that since it's basically the same idea anyway, in terms of its moral implications and repulsiveness.

And, yeah, call the Klingons cannibals, knock yourself out. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

AllanO wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 pm Edit: Also Voq and the other Klingons on the Ship of the Dead ate Phillipa, should we call them all cannibals? Is Tyler/Voq a cannibal by the transitive property of personality grafting?
Until we have a better word, yes.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

After all these years of Klingons gloating about eating the hearts of their enemies, some just assumed that was a figure of speech?

Funnily, Ferengi were implied to be cannibals in “Encounter at Farpoint” when they were being set up as the big bad.