Short Treks - "Calypso"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Short Treks - "Calypso"

Post by CrypticMirror »

Sir Will wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:38 pm

...you're a very angry person.
I'm not angry, I'm Scottish.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:48 am
BunBun299 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:15 am
Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:25 am
BunBun299 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 am If the Federation as we know it has not completely collapsed, then Discovery will be a relic incapable of competing with any space fairing power. Do you really think they will write a story where their ship and crew will not be special?
What makes you think that one ship needs to be capable of taking on an entire space-faring power on its own, anyway? I know Voyager tended to do that, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to do things.

Perhaps they're going to take a stab at making the show that we all wished Voyager and Enterprise had been.
I don't need one ship capable of taking on whole fleets. Oh, it makes for cool, heroic action scenes when one ship is beating the odds, but there do need to be limits. My point is that in any logical universe, Discovery should be completely unable to do anything against any ship that exists 1000 years from now. Hell, Discovery going up against the Enterprise-E should be like an old Civil War Iron Sides trying to go into battle against a modern nuclear submarine. Add 900 more years of technological progress onto that. Factor in that we've already seen that casual time travel is a thing just a few centuries after. What is Discovery going to, besides get blow out of the sky?
Setting it a thousand years is no guarantee that technological progress was nonstop to the point a possible existing Federation is ten times as advanced. Starships existed long before humanity stopped hiding in caves. Starfleet was still having 23rd century era ships in service, which showed how not obsolete they were.

For all we know tech development either stagnated or regressed, depending on the circumstances. I suspect that’s partly why they were thrown a thousand years into the future because nothing was truly established in that period.
Also, there are other things the show can be about than the hero ship picking fights with everyone all the time.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

AuRon wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:39 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:42 pm I was already predisposed to dislike STD right from the off (I have a thing about the name "Michael", which put my back up right from the getgo, it is complicated and personal
Not sure if I should be offended by that? Of course, there are a couple names that I have negative associations with myself, which might make things a little awkward if I see a character with that name. But I generally don't say what those names are, since there will often be someone on a site/board with one of those names (they're pretty common).
Whether you are offended or not is up to you. I'm just admitting my prejudice and saying why it might colour my perception of the show.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

People are also assuming future Discovery will have much, if any, contact with the Federation. They could easily find that, 1000 years in the future, the borders in space have been redrawn so much, they wind up blundering into territory belonging to some civilization that only developed space travel a few centuries ago that they've never heard of.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fianna wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:33 pm People are also assuming future Discovery will have much, if any, contact with the Federation. They could easily find that, 1000 years in the future, the borders in space have been redrawn so much, they wind up blundering into territory belonging to some civilization that only developed space travel a few centuries ago that they've never heard of.
Assuming CBS cut their lists and Act like this is a thrid Universe for Star Trek.
Salamon2
Redshirt

Post by Salamon2 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:50 pm
Salamon2 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:44 pm It would be a nice build off of what was established, as well as provide consequences for Burnham's mother's actions.
You could also put it on Pike, who made the decision to provide a source of power to that church. A thousand years later they're basically religious space crusaders fighting "infidels".
I don't think it'd be "let's wipe out the infidels" as much as "things weren't so easy for us, we had to develop space travel all by ourselves without help from Vulcans, and we don't appreciate your condescending moralizing tone."

Like Enterprise-era attitude with a little Maqui "we did it ourselves" sense of pride. While the religion might be part of it, I don't think it'd be the only point of contention between the Fedresh and Separatists.