Star Trek Beyond BEY

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Artabax
Officer

Star Trek Beyond BEY

Post by Artabax »

BEY is very silly. but it is entertaining funny silly, rather than irritating silly. I have already watcged DIScovery, so all the squabbling aliens were just anther Klingon civil War.

I do not accept Abrams as Canonical Trek, but BEY is an entertaining show and I appreciate it as a thing in itself.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Beyond BEY

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I feel like it's probably the best of the new movies. It's also weird how much Edison fits with serving on the ship of Captain Archer: SPACE RACIST (as created by Chuck).
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I enjoyed seeing Pine's Kirk not act like a fratboy horndog. I always knew he was well cast, that he just needed better writing for his character and finally got that in BEYOND. It was nice to have quieter character bits for Spock and Bones. I thought the pacing was better handled and less frantic than Abrams' "we gottta have an action beat every five minutes" approach, which always struck me as him never trusting the audience and being super afraid of boring them without ADD spectacle. And I haven't been too big of a fan of Michael Giacchino live action scores, but I liked a lot of his stuff in BEYOND better.

Krall/Edison wasn't a very compelling villain. He had an intriguing background and motive, but it felt undercooked in the final version of the film.

I give it an average rating. Too bad this may be the last with this cast, because I think they all deserved a much better run than they ultimately got.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

I give BEY an average rating.
I give it a high rating. I follow Chuck's system score each episode in terms of Nu Trek as a whole.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Despite the alternate universe inconsistencies - blowing up the Enterprise and all that - it felt to me quite faithful to classic Trek, if classic Trek had had a zillion dollars to play with. Since 'Krall' existed before the timeline divergence with Nero in any case, I like to imagine that basically the same events did play out in the Primeverse, just with a different ship and crew happening to be visiting Yorktown when it all kicked off.

(And because I can't pass up a daft joke, I imagine that Jaylah interacting with a different engineer rather than Scotty meant she randomly picked a different track off the old tape deck, so the swarm was defeated by Chumbawamba or something.)
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I think that Beyond is the second or maybe third best Trek movie. I rate First Contact pretty high, so probably third? But the acting, writing, and directing in this one is top-notch and a clear cut above the garbage preceding two.

Edison/Krall was an acceptable and mildly interesting if not terribly complex villain, and his minions were visually distinct and interesting enough to be entertaining. The idea of splitting the crew up into groups DIFFERENT from the ones we normally get, was a great idea and worked really well. Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto in particular were in top form, but Chris Pine was good, too. The opening gag worked well--far better than the Into Darkness version did--because it was well-paced, had some effective and amusing sight gags, and was cut off to transition into Captain Kirk's exasperated 9 to 5 before it could become annoying. The setup with the MacGuffin was done well and I liked how Kirk was portrayed as actually intelligent and taking sensible precautions this time. Such a shame about the poor Ensign, though! I guess we have to have that one redshirt. :(

The climax was fantastic, too. Visually creative, well-put-together, and thematically appropriate.

The entire movie felt like a very good, double-length TOS episode just updated for modern visuals and music. Really just a good fun ride.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Beyond is pretty much the only Kelvin timeline movie I liked, and this is pretty much why:
Worffan101 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:58 am The entire movie felt like a very good, double-length TOS episode just updated for modern visuals and music. Really just a good fun ride.
The strongest attribute of these movies was ALWAYS the excellent casting, and after one movie of holding them back to wedge in a bunch of tedious "it's an alternate universe, it's okay!" diversions and another trying way, WAY too hard to ape the style of other franchises by bringing in the only well-known big name Trek villain, Beyond finally just presents a problem for the crew to tackle and be a crew.

Tangentially, by god I have to believe Karl Urban is a fucking necromancer.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I didn't get much out of it. Didn't feel very epic and wasn't very climactic with the villain considering it was just some guy. The Beastie Boys scene was a bit on the nose. Didn't they use the same song with Kirk driving the vette off the cliff? Into Darkness at least used Body Movin'. They should have went with Brass Monkey or that one song off of Paul's Boutique.
..What mirror universe?
tjfd88
Redshirt

Post by tjfd88 »

Yeah, but they were “sabotaging” the small ship/drones in that scene. It wouldn’t work with any other song.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

tjfd88 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:56 am Yeah, but they were “sabotaging” the small ship/drones in that scene. It wouldn’t work with any other song.
That's what "on the nose" refers to. Though I suppose it's only precise on the title of the song in terms of lyrics, I would have gone with a less specific song for that matter. That's just me though, I like it when themes abstain from lyrical consistency, or at least make it a bit thick.

It's a nice moment for Kirk, and it's not a bad set up, runs in smooth.
..What mirror universe?