Full Metal Panic!

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: Full Metal Panic!

Post by Mecha82 »

AllanO wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:31 am I was vaguely aware of this anime when it was new, but I only ever saw like one episode of Fumoffu at the time. It was very funny. It seems to exist at about the right mix of science fiction, military stuff and wacky comedy to be ideal of Chuck, I think...

I just realized Full Metal Panic various seasons is available on Crunchy Roll, I guess I can watch the rest of Fumoffu at some point...
I am in strange category that I never cared that much about Fumoffu and it's focus on humor. I am more fan of 1st FMP as well as The Second Raid and Invisible Victory so I care more about serious sci-fi war plot and mech battles.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
K.E. Schwartze
Redshirt

Post by K.E. Schwartze »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 am
RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 am
excalibur wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 am I think Chuck has watched so many specific anime that has panty shots...that anime which doesn't do that...surprises him. Meanwhile, us otakus that have been watching since the dawn of time have learned to never really expect the panty shot...but appreciate it when it shows up...most of the time
Well, thats entirely the fault of the people who made requests. He could have gone through the entire Ghibli catalog, Harlock, Yamato, Lain, Nadia Secret of Blue Water, the rest of Robotech, Cowboy Bebop and GiTS... and instead, he went through Kannazuki No Miko, Mahoromatic and Full Moon.
Or The Big O or Baccano or Patlabor or Steamboy or more episodes of Kino... Hell, have him do Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, at least he'd know what he was in for from the title alone.
Patlabor movie One is one the list.

FMP is kinda fun, but I prefer Fumofu to the other seasons (Second raid isn't much better than season one, but it is Kyoani). Truthfully though, I much prefer Amagi Brilliant Park (less swervy, but does what the writer does well).
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

excalibur wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 am I think Chuck has watched so many specific anime that has panty shots...that anime which doesn't do that...surprises him. Meanwhile, us otakus that have been watching since the dawn of time have learned to never really expect the panty shot...but appreciate it when it shows up...most of the time
Well, thats entirely the fault of the people who made requests. He could have gone through the entire Ghibli catalog, Harlock, Yamato, Lain, Nadia Secret of Blue Water, the rest of Robotech, Cowboy Bebop and GiTS... and instead, he went through Kannazuki No Miko, Mahoromatic and Full Moon.
Or The Big O or Baccano or Patlabor or Steamboy or more episodes of Kino... Hell, have him do Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, at least he'd know what he was in for from the title alone.
That one may be a bit too blue.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 pm
That one may be a bit too blue.
'Too blue'? That's a new one.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Presumably blue in the sense of "blue collar" or "cursing a blue streak". As the names of the lead characters may suggest, Panty and Stocking strongly embraces the risque.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Working blue is a reference to blue comedy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribaldry
yamiangie
Redshirt

Post by yamiangie »

On one hand I'm ashamed the anime fans with the deep pockets didn't use Chuck to expose people to good sci fi anime, on the other hand and it's practically a trope a reviewers fans will give you borderline hentai to review and then enjoy the train wreck.

Anyway I'm going to enjoy this because I have not watched Full Metal Panic.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Hey, I'm the one that started him on GitS:SAC and I put Ergo Proxy in the spoke as soon as I could float it - so at least I can say I tried. :|
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

If he keeps going on FMP, Invisible Victory gets kinda dark

I do like Fumoffu on the fact that it's a change of pace and pretty sure non-canon for the most part. 2nd Raid reminded us of how different this world is with the fact that there's a North and South China.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

At least Full Moon he seemed to enjoy it okay, and it worked as a buffer when he needed a light week sometimes, and it picked up near the end. And Mahoromatic is harmless. Not something I would have picked, but harmless.

But he was absolutely miserable with Miko and the person that put him through it should feel bad.

And I know the MLP stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea, but at least initially there was the super clear connection of "John Delancie is basically playing Q on this show", so I can at least see why people thought that would be a good one for Chuck to cover.