The Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
excalibur
Officer

Re: The Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye

Post by excalibur »

The first episode had a lot of good moments and a lot of cringes, especially if you pay attention to details.

I think it's because this series is based on an over the top comic book so that's why Rick has a big ass revolver as a cop when in these modern times, no cop carries big ass revolvers anymore. He's talking to his fellow officer like he's a rookie when it was never implied. Everything else had good lines and mood, but the flashback to before the fall of civilization just felt...weird and clunky
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:24 am
aceina wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:02 am i lost interest in the show quickly it is just to slow paced for me
Ditto. Plus it rapidly became obvious that it would have been better for the entire WD World if Rick had been left to die in that tank. TWD could almost be subtitled "Rick Grimes Gets Everybody Else Killed". He was a massive asshole, and a total hypocrite too with his later insistence that they don't stop to help others; despite him only being alive because Glen stopped to help him and the group took him in. That was the worst decision they ever made. Plus it was the most boring post apocalyptic group ever on tv, and I've seen the original BBC Survivors show where they once got a whole episode out of trying to preserve cabbage.
Just dipping my oar in here to say Survivors was generally pretty good. But they were meant to be more realistic as they just had a virus and collapse of civilization wipe out most people and there are no zombies, and is honestly my cup of tea.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

excalibur wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:02 am Everything else had good lines and mood, but the flashback to before the fall of civilization just felt...weird and clunky
Now that you mention it, it is weird. I was expecting more of those, à la LOST, as a way to give exposition on characters, but that's the only one we got. Nothing for Morgan and his boy, either.

In the end, it seems to only exist to set up the relationship drama by giving us an info dump on their different perspectives on women, and that they know each other to create tension for the later reveal. As a set-up for why Rick missed the apocalypse, it's wholly unnecessary -- or at least, had no need to be a flashback except they wanted zombies in the cold open.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Robovski wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:36 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:24 am
aceina wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:02 am i lost interest in the show quickly it is just to slow paced for me
Ditto. Plus it rapidly became obvious that it would have been better for the entire WD World if Rick had been left to die in that tank. TWD could almost be subtitled "Rick Grimes Gets Everybody Else Killed". He was a massive asshole, and a total hypocrite too with his later insistence that they don't stop to help others; despite him only being alive because Glen stopped to help him and the group took him in. That was the worst decision they ever made. Plus it was the most boring post apocalyptic group ever on tv, and I've seen the original BBC Survivors show where they once got a whole episode out of trying to preserve cabbage.
Just dipping my oar in here to say Survivors was generally pretty good. But they were meant to be more realistic as they just had a virus and collapse of civilization wipe out most people and there are no zombies, and is honestly my cup of tea.
It is not a bad show, but it is a very slowly paced one. It is sort of a darker and grittier version of "The Good Life", and still manages to be more action packed and have more engaging characters than TWD.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 am Also, I'm not sure how aliens makes any sense inside of the story I've seen, but I guess that's why it's a lousy explanation. :lol:
It is a kind of silly explanation, but makes a bit of sense IMO. Zombies violate all sorts of scientific laws, so aliens with more advanced science than our own would explain that. And it makes a for a neat super weapon. In high school we had an assignment to write a short story based off of a Weekly World News headline, and I chose "Aliens raise the dead! Corpse Corp unleashed!" or something like that.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I think raising the dead was probably like the ninth plan the aliens tried.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:59 pm I think raising the dead was probably like the ninth plan the aliens tried.
Why am I suddenly reminded of that Chloe Moretz film "The Fifth Wave?"

I didn't want to be reminded of it either. It was the film where we learned that A) Chloe Moretz has not made the transition from child actress to grown up actress all that well and B) that the ''Young Adult apocalypse with pretty teenagers'' genre was one of the shortest lived fads in recent cinema history. That shit was dead by the time the last Hunger Games rolled out.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

No no no, you need to think of some plan that could only come from outer space. Maybe Ed would be involved.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:58 pm
Deledrius wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 am Also, I'm not sure how aliens makes any sense inside of the story I've seen, but I guess that's why it's a lousy explanation. :lol:
It is a kind of silly explanation, but makes a bit of sense IMO. Zombies violate all sorts of scientific laws, so aliens with more advanced science than our own would explain that. And it makes a for a neat super weapon. In high school we had an assignment to write a short story based off of a Weekly World News headline, and I chose "Aliens raise the dead! Corpse Corp unleashed!" or something like that.
Oh, okay, that's a different line of reasoning I guess. I was trying to think of how aliens would fit into the plot/explanation for the zombies, but I guess if we're using aliens not as "non-human sapient beings from another world" and instead as "magical unexplained force that can make reality not reality" then, okay, that works. But it's not an explanation anymore, just a feint.
TheGreenMan
Redshirt

Post by TheGreenMan »

Never could get into TWD. I think I've seen more of it in these two reviews than I ever have before.

I guess I can never get past the suspension of disbelief about walking corpses. I always liked the part of I Am Legend where the still living were infected. Though it too had the dead coming back.