The Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: The Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye

Post by Admiral X »

I liked the short first season, even if I was unsatisfied by the conclusion of it.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 pmI didn't want to be reminded of it either. It was the film where we learned that A) Chloe Moretz has not made the transition from child actress to grown up actress all that well
Elaborate, please. Can't say I've conciously seen anything from her, except her role in Kick Ass.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

I think they should have done a 28th Days later and start with Rick waking up in the hospital with no flashbacks to how all this happened
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

started blowing holes in it with the tank that I'm fairly sure the military retired in the 80s.
Can't say exactly which it was supposed to be, but the US Army had M60s around in inventory until the mid 90s.
FlynnTaggart wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:21 pm I watched probably about the 4th season maybe, the stuff with the Governor. I just kinda got disgusted with the show after the second time the Governor showed up with an army and despite wanting to capture the prison started blowing holes in it with the tank that I'm fairly sure the military retired in the 80s. Just was my jump the shark moment, showed they were more interested in 'splosions then any sort of coherent plot. Certainly didn't help I was already hanging on by a thread with those zombie loving kids and the Irish zombie woman.
The jump the shark moment for me was the episode from the Gov's perspective where he has a redemption arc, then it ends with him going back to the same old insane crap. I realized there the show was going to be the same old same old over and over and gave up. I was on the rails all through the third season, though. I liked how the second ended with Rich having enough of everyone and their shit but the this undermined that even if it focus on Rich saddling too much on himself like an idiot.

Now that I think about it, that little field he tried to farm is hilariously small and probably wouldn't even feed a handful of people much less the group they had.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Beastro wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:19 am
started blowing holes in it with the tank that I'm fairly sure the military retired in the 80s.
Can't say exactly which it was supposed to be, but the US Army had M60s around in inventory until the mid 90s.
FlynnTaggart wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:21 pm I watched probably about the 4th season maybe, the stuff with the Governor. I just kinda got disgusted with the show after the second time the Governor showed up with an army and despite wanting to capture the prison started blowing holes in it with the tank that I'm fairly sure the military retired in the 80s. Just was my jump the shark moment, showed they were more interested in 'splosions then any sort of coherent plot. Certainly didn't help I was already hanging on by a thread with those zombie loving kids and the Irish zombie woman.
The jump the shark moment for me was the episode from the Gov's perspective where he has a redemption arc, then it ends with him going back to the same old insane crap. I realized there the show was going to be the same old same old over and over and gave up. I was on the rails all through the third season, though. I liked how the second ended with Rich having enough of everyone and their shit but the this undermined that even if it focus on Rich saddling too much on himself like an idiot.

Now that I think about it, that little field he tried to farm is hilariously small and probably wouldn't even feed a handful of people much less the group they had.
Yeah, that looking back that was the JTSM, but the one that sticks in my mind is Dumpstergate, whereby they tried to make out that Glenn was dead just for ratings - and then killed him anyway not long after.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

So, the Katrina comparison gets about as close to a satisfying explanation for the downfall of society as I think is possible. I still don't buy it. A hurricane is an enormous natural disaster that we can only take shelter during and do our best to clean up after. Zombies are shambling corpses. Yes, they might bite and infect some people before we figure out that bashing in the head is the only way to kill them. But that's only gonna get them to a second or maybe third generation of zombies before people wise up and start going for the head, immediately. I don't buy that they could ever get to that critical mass of undead that would cause the collapse of civilization.

A few years back, I made a deal with my brother. He agrees to watch the 12 episodes of Madoka Magica, I would watch the first season of The Walking Dead. I watched all 6 episodes. To date, he has yet to watch episode 2 of Madoka, in spite my repeatedly telling him to not judge it by the first episode, because it is impossible to fully grasp that first episode on a first viewing. But he won't listen.

There are exactly 3 works of zombie fiction that I actually like (barring fantasy, but that's a separate issue). Warm Bodied, Zombieland, and Shawn of the Dead. What these three have in common should he immediately obvious, they're all comedies. I can enjoy them, because in a work of comedy, I don't have to take everything as seriously. So the part of my brain that simply doesn't believe that zombies could ever become a society crushing threat, is willing to ignore that to appreciate the joke. And I consider Shawn of the Dead in particular to be the only zombie fiction to ever get it right. Things get bad for a short while, then guys with guns show up and the threat is ended, with the world adjusting to the new paradigm of walking corpses, train them to retrieve shopping carts. With The Walking Dead, I can't do that, though. It wants to be taken seriously. So I have to take it seriously. And even ignoring that tanks could just drive through the hordes, or the millions of privately owned fire arms in the USA, there is still the fact that thinking humans could just form a really old fashioned phalanx, and cut down the undead en mass with melee weapons. The effects are good, the characters are well acted, but I just don't buy that everyone in the world who was not our protagonists could be stupid enough to let the horde grow.

That's my take on the whole series.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I think what some people are missing about how ''unrealistic'' the walker plague is is that EVERYONE is infected. It is airborne.

151,000 people die worldwide each day, which comes to 55.3 million per year. That is 151,000 brand new soldiers coming at you every single time you wake up. But worse than that? In a world without 21st century medical care then that figure will be even higher. And yes, that figure will change the less people there are, but it will remain a per capita figure.

Factor in the surprise factor and these are impossible odds.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The problem with Zombie apocalypse is WE always have to jump past the collapse

cause Writers want the fall of civilization

I mean the main criticism of World War Z is A: The Collapse relies HEAVILY on those in charge making decisions for Political gains and not dealing with the threat in a unrealistic way

THERE IS NO GAWD DAMN WAY IN HELL AN ACTIVE MILITARY OPERATION WOULD LET THE MEDIA BE CLOGGING THE COMBAT ZONE JUST TO GET THE GOOD SHOOTS OR NOT HAVE A SUPPLY LINE

and B: A thing alot of Zombie tales do, REALLY over estimate the sheer amount of damage a human body can soak

It doesn't matter if the creature can't feel it, If all its bones are broken ITS NOT MOVING cause its muscle structure has no support. NO Crush Depth is Crush Depth Max you can't just Magically say the zombies are immune to Salt Water! Even though Salt water is one of the WORST things for exposed inner tissues!!
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Most zombie stories also portray it as being surprisingly easy to break people's skin with your teeth.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:07 am I think what some people are missing about how ''unrealistic'' the walker plague is is that EVERYONE is infected. It is airborne.

151,000 people die worldwide each day, which comes to 55.3 million per year. That is 151,000 brand new soldiers coming at you every single time you wake up. But worse than that? In a world without 21st century medical care then that figure will be even higher. And yes, that figure will change the less people there are, but it will remain a per capita figure.

Factor in the surprise factor and these are impossible odds.
Ok, if we're gonna go there, let's go there.

Let's assume that on day one, we get 151,000 zombies world wide.

There are over 7,000,000,000 people in the world. Let's round down, though, and just say 7,000,000,000.

Let's also assume that women, by and large, are not going to participate in daily zombie head bashing, as they have shorter limbs and roughly half the strength of men. I'm not someone who says a woman's place is in the home, but when it comes to physically demanding tasks, men are simply going to be better at it, and I want to make things as fair as I possibly can for the undead, so this is an easy way to half the number of enemy combatants they'll be facing. So roughly 3,500,000,000 humans.

Now let's assume, to make things as fair as possible, that roughly 1.5 billion of the men folk are all very old,very young, or suffer from crippling injury that would make them unfit to bash skulls in. I have no idea what actual age and crippling injury statistics are, but let's guess up here. So that leaves roughly 2,000,000,000 able bodied men to preform the daily bashing of skulls.

2,000,000,000 divided by 151,000 equals 13,245. So, every day, men now need to kill zombies, and have a 13,245 to 1 advantage, just looking at raw numbers. Those are pretty good odds, even before you factor in the massive advantage that is firearms. Zombies are not as dangerous to humans as say, lions or bears or gorillas. In fact, they're significantly less dangerous than any of those animals. They're actually less intelligent, slower, and don't have claws and teeth that can shred flesh. And yet, humans claimed our place at the top of the food chain, in spite the existence of such competition, millenia before we ever came up with firearms, because we first invented the long pointy stick, and realized the advantage it gave us over physically superior predators to be able to kill them from farther away than they could kill us.

We are not going to lose our place at the top of the food chain to a predator physically inferior to all other predators we've conquered, and possessing pretty much none of the advantages we have against them.