At what point do you feel that we will all be "burnt out?"

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Re: At what point do you feel that we will all be "burnt out?"

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

I've been there for a long time. Ever since my 20s when I fancied myself a cinephile and discovered Bergman, Kurosawa, Felini, etc, I found I can't tolerate bad art, even ironically. People love MST3K but I can't get into it because the movies are irredeemably awful, even with their funny commentary. I can't get into most horror movies because most of them are crap, I find it very hard to get excited about Friday the 13th part 10 and 3/4 or a Dario Argento movie when he hasn't made a good movie since reagan was president. I don't care about the crop of superhero movies as they all follow the same, risk-averse template. I don't know the difference between marvel and dc, it's all a case of same shit, different pile.

Let's also not fall into false nostalgia. There were a lot of bad movies done before, even during the golden age of hollywood. Most of it's been forgotten and lost. Now, with digitization and the internet, it's very hard for something to disappear and everything's accessible to everyone (in theory).
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Winter
Captain

Re: At what point do you feel that we will all be "burnt out?"

Post by Winter »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 am
Winter wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:29 am Asking when is cinema is dying and when we're all going to hit burn out is like saying Single-Player Games are dying out and that multi-player is the way of the future. Sure, one is undoubtedly good but that doesn't mean the other is going anywhere any time soon, if ever.
That's what big western Triple A game publishers want people to believe so that they can keep pushing they gambling mechanics. One reason why I haven't bought games published by them since DA: Inquisition. As far as big publishers go Sony has proven whole "single-player games are dead"-line wrong time after time and to be nothing but lie.

Sorry for going off-topic but this is topic that makes me stand on soap box.
I actually really Love Dragon Age: Inquisition and is, IMHO, one of the best games BioWare has ever made and, to be frank, may be the last good game they make for a Very LONG Time.