New Picard trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Actarus
Officer

New Picard trailer

Post by Actarus »

It's in Spanish (strangely) but here it is:

youtu.be/hMDyYEk0lCE

Too bad I don't speak Spanish. But you can see Data, Will Riker and Deanna Troi.

Seems like Data is really in Picard's dreams.

Romulans are back to old designs. Or old ships... That Bird of Prey looks nifty though.

And were those tholian ships at 2:20?
Simplicius
Officer

Re: New Picard trailer

Post by Simplicius »

Only saw half before they set the video to private. I thought I caught a glimpse of Seven of Nine, but I could be wrong.

By "old designs" do you mean "Abrams designs"? Anyway, it looks about as horrible as I assumed it would. Grim, violent and spectacular. It's not for me. I'm sure Discovery fans will like it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I hope Seven isn't overtly sexualized. That's one area modern Feminism can only be a good thing! They could go too far in the other direction though. :lol:

Also, this just reeks of... tired and cliched. The Borg were worn out before 2001. :roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Simplicius wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 pm Only saw half before they set the video to private. I thought I caught a glimpse of Seven of Nine, but I could be wrong.

By "old designs" do you mean "Abrams designs"? Anyway, it looks about as horrible as I assumed it would. Grim, violent and spectacular. It's not for me. I'm sure Discovery fans will like it.
I don't understand. I can see it just fine.

By old design, I mean the old TOS Romulan Bird of Prey. And if people are ready to nitpick about that, there is no hope for them...

Anyway: at 1:00, bald men with ID numbers on their foreheads and strangely familiar yellow eyes. Looks like they started to mass-produce Soong-type androids. Will that be a wink to "Measure of a Man", where PIcard envisioned that Data-like androids could be made into a slave race?

At 1:14, could this old man talking with Picard be Barclay?

Edit: Now I understand. I can't see it either if I refresh the page. We'll have to wait...
Last edited by Actarus on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:26 pm I hope Seven isn't overtly sexualized. That's one area modern Feminism can only be a good thing! They could go too far in the other direction though. :lol:

Also, this just reeks of... tired and cliched. The Borg were worn out before 2001. :roll:
Speaking of no hope...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I'd like to be surprised. I would. But Borg make me happy for one reason. They are likely to at least develop the story so it gets good by the time the Dominion and Cardassians appear. So maybe they won't be hit with badass decay like the Borg, Q, Klingons in DISCO Season 1, and Vulcans till Season 4 Enterprise.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Okay, just to break it down:

0:00: The trailer begins with a view of Picard vineyard. Picard, in his old uniform, approaches Data who is painting. Looks like a lady in flowing robes by a stormy sea. The lady is unfinished. It is clearly a dream by the echo of their voices. Data turns and says: Do you want to complete it, Captain?" Picard answers "I don't know how." Data replies: "That is not true, Sir," as he gives the brush to Picard.

0:26: Scene of triangular, tholian-like ships bombarding a city as Picard takes the brush.

0: 31: Picard wakes up. His dog comes to him. "I'm fine, Number One." as he pets the dog. Then scenes of the vineyard again, with Picard saying: "I have come here seeking security. But nobody is safe from the past." Then we see the young lady we saw in the previous trailer asking for help (Dahj).

0:48: San Francisco, Starfleet Headquarters. In the hall, Picard tells a young man he has an appointment and spells his name. The young man answers he is happy to see him back. A shot from the seeling shows us an hologram of a Galaxy-class starship.

0:58: A great library, or a computer room. Picard walks next to a man/lady (hard to tell) dressed in white. He says (probably a voice over) "We have the obligation to investigate." "Not 'we', Jean-Luc." Then we see the bald men clad in red with the yellow eyes. In a voice over, Picard says: "Admiral, I turn towards the Federation, which I should still represent!" (?) The Admiral replies angrily: "This is not your home, Jean-Luc! Return to yours!"

1:10: An old man asks Picard if he really wants to return "to the cold" (De verdad quieres regresar al frio?). Picard answers "More than ever." Shot of Picard pinning his SF badge on his shirt.

1:20: Picard speaks to Raffi Musiker on some desertic planet. "I have a plan." Musiker: " Another rescue mission, top secret and unauthorized?" Then a city on a cliff by the sea. Picard talks with scientist Agnes Jurati which says : "That's all I need. I'm going with you." Then, Picard says (voiceover) "I need your habilities and bravery" as we are shown Ronulan Elnor and pilot Chris Rios.

1:33: Shots of Borg bodyparts, Seven of Nine crying, holding a dead man, then shots of the ship (exterior and interior) as it goes into warp. Meanwhile Picard says "The past has been written. It is up to us to write the futur." (Nudge nudge to those who didn't like the prequel that is Discovery).

1:45: Different action scenes: Picard dueling a man. Dahj talking to Romulan Narek ("I will get the informations we need", he says). Dahj kissing Rios. Seven of Nine saying "I'M fighting for those who have nobody" to Picard. Shots of her shooting with phasers in her hands. Shot of Hugh?

2:00 A kitchen, a man washes the dishes. "Dad!" "What!" "Come here!" "Stop yelling!" "It's Jean-Luc Picard!" "Hello, Will." Deanna and Jean-Luc embracing each other.

2:13: Shot of the ship fighting an old TOS Romulan Bird of Prey. Dahj, Picard and a man running in a corridor. A space station or ship destroyed by tholian-like, triangular ships. "We all have a story waiting to be told."

2:28: Picard and Riker talking on a dock by a river or lake. "I thank you for not trying to stop me from doing it." "Believe me, I know you." And it ends there.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The English trailer

youtu.be/FySrgrKJguE
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, it sounds like a confusing mess. That said, I will keep an open mind, even if... well, bringing in a Galaxy class is a pure cynical pander to nostalgia. And look how well that's worked out for those big Hollywood studios today. :lol:
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

It's nice to see Riker factored in. And Kirk's Rock. A little too much CG, though. The dual-wield sequence looks a bit off.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K