Does the Disney Star Wars canon need a new name?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Does the Disney Star Wars canon need a new name?

Post by Yukaphile »

Seriously, they could cut down a number of Legends vs. NuCanon battles, not all, but some, if they were to just retitle the current canon. I've always wondered if they were doing that simply because they think theirs is so much better that it's going to last forever. Maybe not as a brand name, but to withstand the test of time. But I now wonder if given the business realities they must be aware of, if that is simply not the case at all. Speculating on their motives is pretty hard to do, because given how culturally significant Star Wars is, they're basically politicians who always need to walk a fine line on what to say, shading, obfuscating, or even outright concealing the truth, but... nevertheless, I am now wondering, if a simple rebranding of the "current canon" would help. Might even help them to learn to define what it is they wanna do past corporate laziness. No, really, I just think it's no different than corporate welfare (why do the big corps need that? :lol:). If corporate welfare is a bum for big business, then their approach seems to be the metaphor of a high school kid procrastinating, and just periodically writing a few words down on his essay as the clock ticks down, for big business. It is winging it, fully, to the max. But back to topic, would rebranding help? I dunno, I think so. Question is, what would you call it?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Re: Does the Disney Star Wars canon need a new name?

Post by Mecha82 »

What else could it be called than NuCanon. Then again I am already gotten used to calling it NuCanon so there is that.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Dreams? I dunno. :lol: Aren't they the optimistic liberals who say we need to look forward to the future, build a better world for our kids?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Mecha82 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm What else could it be called than NuCanon. Then again I am already gotten used to calling it NuCanon so there is that.
Well, it's half a decade old so it's not really New so calling it NuCanon is kinda like DC's New 52 after it had stopped being new for a while. Is that the official name though, or just something we call it?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

New 15? It began in 2015, after all. :mrgreen:
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 am New 15? It began in 2015, after all. :mrgreen:
Not really accurate as the NuCanon started in 2014 with Rebels.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

New 14 then!
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I call it Bob.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

BOB WARS! :lol:
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Winter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 am
Mecha82 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm What else could it be called than NuCanon. Then again I am already gotten used to calling it NuCanon so there is that.
Well, it's half a decade old so it's not really New so calling it NuCanon is kinda like DC's New 52 after it had stopped being new for a while.
And NuWho started in 2005.