New Picard trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: New Picard trailer

Post by Yukaphile »

Yes. If they really wanna be more sophisticated than that now, create a big story bible, find somebody competent to serve as the head chief, and then have the writers work around that, restrained when needed. That worked well on DS9.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:01 pm Yes. If they really wanna be more sophisticated than that now, create a big story bible, find somebody competent to serve as the head chief, and then have the writers work around that, restrained when needed. That worked well on DS9.
At this point you're just looking for another George Lucas or James Cameron.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do think the problem is that they want Star Trek to be about one character saving the day and being the most important even if that not what trek is.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

To be fair while both B5 and DS9 did give focus to several characters in B5 Sheridan was clearly most important character while in DS9 Sisko was clearly most important character. Both had something beyond being commanding officers that made them special to have that spot. For Micheal that is being adopted sister of Spock who is iconic character.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 pm To be fair while both B5 and DS9 did give focus to several characters in B5 Sheridan was clearly most important character while in DS9 Sisko was clearly most important character. Both had something beyond being commanding officers that made them special to have that spot. For Micheal that is being adopted sister of Spock who is iconic character.
Yes but they still allow the pthers characters important stuff, meanwhile on STD Michael is the only person of any important, and Picard is the title character.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:08 pm I do think the problem is that they want Star Trek to be about one character saving the day and being the most important even if that not what trek is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ
..What mirror universe? ;/
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And yet JMS had a trap-door approach, so that if and as we know, when Sinclair left, it passed to Sheridan.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Interesting enough Sinclair would had been in that role instead Sheridan. There was some focus on him with him being reason why Minbari stopped war, "you have hole in your mind"-line, him being demanded to be B5's commanding officer by Minbari and Delenn who was Grey Council member being assigned to B5. All telling us that Sinclair was special before we even learned why that was case.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Is Michael Burnham a mary sue?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Indeed. But even so, that's the point. It's a trap-door approach. Sci-fi is never as deep as some think it is, so embrace that with the trap-door approach. I just see modern sci-fi writers being lazy. Especially for a series with a built-in safety net. The height of human hubris for entertainment and capitalism.