Does the Disney Star Wars canon need a new name?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Re: Does the Disney Star Wars canon need a new name?

Post by Winter »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:38 am
Winter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 am
Mecha82 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm What else could it be called than NuCanon. Then again I am already gotten used to calling it NuCanon so there is that.
Well, it's half a decade old so it's not really New so calling it NuCanon is kinda like DC's New 52 after it had stopped being new for a while.
And NuWho started in 2005.
And I think that's silly too, if not more so cause, unlike Star Wars or DC, it's not a reboot it's still being set in the same continuity.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Winter wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:27 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:38 am
Winter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 am
Mecha82 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm What else could it be called than NuCanon. Then again I am already gotten used to calling it NuCanon so there is that.
Well, it's half a decade old so it's not really New so calling it NuCanon is kinda like DC's New 52 after it had stopped being new for a while.
And NuWho started in 2005.
And I think that's silly too, if not more so cause, unlike Star Wars or DC, it's not a reboot it's still being set in the same continuity.
So is the Sequel Trilogy, ostensibly. Episodes I-VI (and the CGI Clone Wars series) are still canon, it's EVERYTHING ELSE that got replaced. Same as with most of the stuff Doctor Who got between 1989 and 2005.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

NuWho needs a rename. For one, there was no reboot (a lot of people assumed it was at the time as Nine did not actually mention on screen that he was the ninth Doctor, it was only when Ten came along and had an episode with Sarah Jane that we had conclusive evidence). For another, it has been 14 years.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Canon implies this new EU is much better and nobler, "because it's consistent," which is a bullshit corporate deflection tactic. Because we all know their views of "canon" boil down to what are the movies and TV shows. Anything that is a moving picture, but you don't have to physically engage with past your two eyeballs. And that's allowed to be inconsistent. The books and comics and games? Not so much. There is elitism toward them even in the new EU. So really, give it a new name. The continuity fandom nerds have every right to be upset at them, which they just dismiss as "hard-line" and "extreme." More of the same old "get a life" sneers. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

@Yuka You know I find your claims about elitism funnier each time considering that there is actual elitism in Legends fandom with idea that SW belongs to them and that they way of liking it is only correct way while sneering at people that like NuCanon for not being "real fans". It's that idea that anyone who doesn't like same thing same way they aren't "real fans" making that part of fandom seem more like religion looking down at heretics than anything sensible like something made to be enjoyed should.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Those in charge are no different. EVERYONE feels a sense of entitlement to Star Wars, given how powerfully it has affected us.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:17 am NuWho needs a rename. For one, there was no reboot (a lot of people assumed it was at the time as Nine did not actually mention on screen that he was the ninth Doctor, it was only when Ten came along and had an episode with Sarah Jane that we had conclusive evidence). For another, it has been 14 years.
I'm not sure what would be a better term, though. Classic Who, NuWho, both work fine. Modern Who, maybe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Maybe once it hits 26 seasons, yeah, rename it. :lol:
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Locally (i.e. not the internet) we just call it Modern and Classic. Or just 'Doctor Who' and after the first sentence it's pretty obvious whether we're talking about new or old or both.

Star Wars is easier - new Star Wars is Star Wars, old Star Wars is Star Wars, and Legends is 'Books And Comics And Stuff'.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wait, what the hell is new Star Wars? :shock: I thought even with new EU, the movies take greatest priority? Seriously, you should include the new EU there too. Those in charge frankly only care about movies and TV shows. New EU is destined to go the same way as Legends. Seriously. SMH