My review of Star Trek: Discovery season one and two

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: My review of Star Trek: Discovery season one

Post by Yukaphile »

... are you just flat-up trolling me now? Exploring concepts like "Who Watches the Watchers?" is not classic Trek? Or some ancient space probe of knowledge? You elaborate on those, please.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Even if I watch something, I don't do so till it's done. I wanna know everything about it before it's done, seriously.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:22 am... are you just flat-up trolling me now?
I'm trying not to, but you're making it really hard.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:55 am Even if I watch something, I don't do so till it's done. I wanna know everything about it before it's done, seriously.
And what we do during that time is we wait.
..What mirror universe?
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

While I'm here though I should say (to Charles, I mean) that struck me as a very well expressed review. Myself I'd probably have knocked another half a point of the rating out of ten just because the Ash/Michael relationship... I dunno, it never clicked. I love both actors, while they're on screen I buy whatever they're saying and doing in the moment, but as soon as it's over and I think back I just can't find my footing with the whole idea of those two having a connection (which kind of extended into Ash in season two for me as well - great acting, weak character). Thanks for taking the effort, it's made me think I really should watch through s1 over a weekend sometime.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Again, I'm curious. What would all of you rate TNG Season 1? Compared to DISCO Season 1? DISCO Season 1 is only a few years old, while TNG Season 1 is decades ago and we all know where it led. While DISCO still has the "new-car" smell, and we don't know where it's going. We can only look back on the past's flaws, while hoping the future will be better, so it's relative. Look, this is my big beef with Trek now. And not even Trek. It's my disdain for late-stage capitalism. Their TERROR at doing anything new and losing sales is more apparent than ever. The greed hasn't changed, but it has reshuffled due to changing times. Again, take B5. It has a massive story bible, I hear, that guaranteed it would be an amazing show. And even if it was mooched to make DS9, DS9 did its own thing. I think ultimately that you need a story bible if you wanna be serialized in today's world. But... the corporate mentality is that "limits" your options, because it locks you down into a more narrow perspective with less room to breathe, and it smothers creativity. JMS was ahead of his time in what he did. Are they doing the same now? Hell, does DISCO even have a series bible? Given how much a cash cow Trek is, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't, or was very light, just a few ideas shared among friends who work on it now. Hell, what I think JMS did should be the gold standard. Time has proven this again and again. It's what Lucas did too. But... that just isn't in the corporate mandate. Bleh.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:55 am Even if I watch something, I don't do so till it's done. I wanna know everything about it before it's done, seriously.
Maybe you should then avoid taking part into conversations before that instead of acting like you know what you are talking about when in reality you are not.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I know enough about modern corporate practices, and how worse they are getting.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 am What would all of you rate TNG Season 1?
Using Chuck's secondary scale: Avoid to Watchable. Nearly all Unimportant, except for Farpoint, which nets a Somewhat Important (I'd pick something lower, but there isn't one).
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 am Compared to DISCO Season 1?
Watchable to Recommended. Importance is difficult to gauge at Season 2, but ranges from Unimportant (Magic Yada Yada Yada) to Important (Klingon War Resolution, Mirror Georgiou, Spore Network Magic, Stamets Husband, Ash/Voq).
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu