My review of Star Trek: Discovery season one and two

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: My review of Star Trek: Discovery season one and two

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:31 pmI don't think her existence taints Spock anyway. Just because you don't like her doesn't mean that some how now Spock is tainted. That is irrational way of thinking and doesn't resemble logic. At least Earth logic.
Spock has had a lot of weird events in his life ranging from having his brain stolen to being controlled by poppy seeds. His foster sister being the only Federation mutineer until Ben Finney ("Court Martial") is just one of those odd events that fills a life of oddities.

Re: Discovery

In my STAR TREK ADVENTURES game I actually have the view that time travel in Star Trek is a Timey Wimey Ball rather than a straight line. Things like FIRST CONTACT and the TEMPORAL COLD WAR have effected the past of the Trekverse so that the technology dramatically changed as did events.

In my Discovery-game coming up, I'm going to have the wormhole producing suit be a product of recovered Borg technology for example. It was almost a century before they could activate it.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:31 pm I don't think her existence taints Spock anyway. Just because you don't like her doesn't mean that some how now Spock is tainted. That is irrational way of thinking and doesn't resemble logic. At least Earth logic.
I think you've misunderstood what I've written (perhaps it's on me). I'm talking about who Spock is as a character. Having a secret adopted sister is just one part of an overall darkening of his character.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Simplicius wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:53 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:31 pm I don't think her existence taints Spock anyway. Just because you don't like her doesn't mean that some how now Spock is tainted. That is irrational way of thinking and doesn't resemble logic. At least Earth logic.
I think you've misunderstood what I've written (perhaps it's on me). I'm talking about who Spock is as a character. Having a secret adopted sister is just one part of an overall darkening of his character.
I don't think Michael darkens Spock's character. He does through some serious hell in Season 2, though.

He also has some goofy moments in the Short Trek "Q&A" that I found amusing.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I liked the way the first half of the season was going, they were setting up an interesting situation that obviously was torpedoed by the firing of Harberts and Berg.

The behind the scenes of this show is crazy.