DIS - New Eden

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: DIS - New Eden

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Admiral X wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:44 pm Probably referring to that time Natives were given blankets that were covered with smallpox.
I believe he's referring to the more imperial aspects that develop from colonial practice. However, I'm not really aware of whether the US' early developments were much superior to the Spaniards' or Portuguese.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Admiral X wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:44 pm Probably referring to that time Natives were given blankets that were covered with smallpox.
Disease and plague was a big thing everywhere Europeans landed. Mind you, they'd just suffered their own massive plague.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

They did it on purpose and you know it.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:12 pm They did it on purpose and you know it.
They're just a dirty dirty disease-ridden people. Especially the Scots!

*camera pans out to his Scottish themed living room*

But yes, this episode is among the best of Discovery hands-down.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:28 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:54 am
Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:15 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:57 pm And look where they're at today. Makes ya think.
Many of them would still be here if the ''One True God'' people never tried to exterminate them. The Conquistadors ring a bell?

That makes me think too... namely how much much blood has been spilled for the grace of an all-loving god.
No, a couple of them might be around maybe. Why are you defending the Inca and the Aztecs, two god-king empires that literally performed human sacrifice?
They sacrificed people, the white man enslaved them and worked them to death like animals. Are we really any better?
The Aztecs I'd argue were magnitudes worse than the Incans. The Spanish were at their worst in their history.
This is honestly kinda debatable. The Aztec Triple Alliance was fundamentally a tributary empire and there's some evidence that the Flower Wars were actually organized by religious leaders to release social pressures and ensure a steady flow of sacrifices during a major drought in the Valley of Mexico. They would've left subject people largely to their own devices so long as they got a steady flow of tribute.

The Tawantinsuyu was a much more socially advanced hegemonic imperialistic power that independently developed and implemented the concept of state-sponsored ethnic cleansing. Much like the Romans, they would force troublesome minorities from their homes and move them across the empire in order to break up cultural cohesion. Only for the Tawantinsuyu, this was STANDING POLICY for newly conquered cultures.

Basically, the Aztecs would say "Pay us or we kill you." The Incas would say, "Do what the Sapa Inca says and be a loyal subject and abandon your old ways for the ways of Inti or we will kill all your friends and make you a slave on the other side of the known world".
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Obviously the Spanish, who indiscriminately enslaved everybody they met and intentionally worked large numbers of people to death to weaken potential resistance, were even worse than the Tawantinsuyu and the Triple Alliance put together.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm Obviously the Spanish, who indiscriminately enslaved everybody they met and intentionally worked large numbers of people to death to weaken potential resistance, were even worse than the Tawantinsuyu and the Triple Alliance put together.
I wouldn't say worse but I defy anyone who claims they were better.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:57 pmAnd look where they're at today.
Reborn in other religions and thus, technically, still around, even though it's under a different name.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:57 pmAnd look where they're at today.
Reborn in other religions and thus, technically, still around, even though it's under a different name.
I know. Just ridiculous.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:28 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm
I know. Just ridiculous.
If only they could be as sensible as us huh?