Upcoming Review: Gravity Falls - Season 1

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Edvarius
Officer

Re: Upcoming Review: Gravity Falls - Season 1

Post by Edvarius »

I'd seen still shots of this show before and while the premise sounding somewhat interesting, I wasn't sure I'd actually enjoy seeing it. But having seen a bit of how it actually looks in action I'm less apprehensive. Is this currently (legally) streaming anywhere?
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

It's a Disney channel series so... not at the moment? maybe after disneys streaming service launches?
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

There’s a series set if that’s your bag but... wait I have the internet and so does Alex Hirsch.

https://twitter.com/_alexhirsch/status/1184386125093163013?s=21

Will be on Disney+ starting November 12!
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Which explains why it's no longer on Hulu.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:11 pm I consider "Gravity Falls" one of my favorite shows.
I too have a sibling (not a twin, but a younger brother who is the more free spirit of the two of us) and most of the material and creative decisions that show up in the series are like stuff right out of my own Dungeons and Dragons game.

And what is more... It is not even finished.
The second season is comically rushed with at least 2 seasons worth of material smooshed down into only one. Alex Hirsh (the shows creator and... he is Dipper) was so exhausted from making the first season that he almost didn't bother with the second and he ended up getting a talking to by John Stewart (the comedian, not the Green Lantern) into finishing the story.

I do not want to spoil anything, but it is clear from the lack of development of one KEY CHARACTER in the second half of season 2, that there was supposed to be a lot more set up and development.

It makes me sad that I did not get another 20 episodes sprinkled in and fleshing out season 2 into a full season 2 and 3, but I do love what I got.
I hadn't heard that, but it does make a certain amount of sense in hindsight. Still, I'm a fan of series that know when to end things rather than outstaying their welcome. Gravity Falls, I think, is something of a marvel for me: there are no episodes that I don't like. Okay, there are two episodes where the ending is a little "wait, really?" but even that doesn't hurt the enjoyment of the overall episode. In two entire seasons, there is not one episode I would skip, not one I think was a waste of time or subpar. That's REALLY impressive.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

hay at the end of the intro did chuck put in watch sf debris or some thing similar? cuz that is what it sounded like.
TheGreenMan
Redshirt

Post by TheGreenMan »

The one thing that gets me about what we've seen so far: How could there be no fingerprints, "at all", on the axe in episode 3? At least 3 people have handled that axe...um, handle.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Not much to say, other than I hope Chuck thoroughly enjoys this show, because it is one of the best shows Disney ever made and one of the best cartoons of the 2010's.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

The early-mid 2010s have been an absolute flood of exceptionally good kids animation (MLP, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and there’s no shortage of less known shows that are still excellent) and I’m still inclined to agree that Gravity Falls might be the best of them. Some individual episodes of the rest are excellent but none match Gravity Falls for consistency and planning in the plot arc.

... well, Over the Garden Wall, but that’s a miniseries.
93ImperatorPenguin
Redshirt

Post by 93ImperatorPenguin »

Should we tell Chuck that this show gets darker after the Toucan Sam parody eats someone? Or should we let him find out for himself?